Vacation rentals have so many advantages over traditional hotels when traveling with kids or in large groups. On a recent trip to Washington DC, we found a great basement apartment in the trendy 14th Street neighborhood through Flipkey. Here’s why I think a vacation rental can help you to have a more authentic travel experience.
Why Rent a Home During Vacation?
- Feel like a local: Spending time in a residential neighborhood and going about my day like a local would is my primary reason for opting for a rental when compared to a hotel. We use this opportunity to shop at nearby grocery stores and explore local coffee shops and parks and imagine how we would enjoy living here. It helps us form a more personal connection to a new city and sometimes allows for interesting encounters with neighbors who have great local tips.
- Get more space: Though it depends on the type of rental (how many rooms etc.) you will be most likely to have more space in the configuration of an apartment or house than in a conventional hotel room. This helps with giving kids some floor space in a designated play area. When traveling in large groups we like to have a common area for gathering while also having our personal space.
- Save money: Finding a vacation rental home can be one way to keep the costs down on vacation.Depending on the rental you maybe able to accommodate more people and have more amenities. Having a kitchen or laundry facilities can help you prepare meals and wash your clothes at a lower cost. But even vacation rentals may have extra charges for additional guests and added costs for cleaning/parking etc. So it always pays to do a cost comparison to ensure you have an advantage.
- Have a local contact: When renting a vacation home I really enjoy being in contact with a local owner on most occasion. They have always become my go to source for getting an initial readout of the best neighborhood spots and information on what to do incase of an emergency. We have had our rental owners leave breakfast and recommendations to their favorite restaurants.
How Flipkey Can Help
Though not the biggest or the most popular site for vacation rentals, this TripAdvisor owned site Flipkey has been gaining popularity with rental listings in both US and worldwide markets. Having tried several vacation rentals for previous trips, I was excited at the opportunity to find our accommodation in Washington DC for a three day weekend trip.
- Good inventory for varying price ranges
- Detailed description and amenities along with photos of each listing
- Google map showing the location on the same page
- Suggestions for other listings in the same area listed right at the bottom
- Most listings had reviews and owner ratings
- Extra charges such as deposits listed clearly
- Quick response from owners and great contact with owner throughout our stay
- Easy method to contact the owner right on the site without needing any login (but this also made it a little difficult to keep track of the listings I had contacted since it wasn’t linked to a profile)
Whether you are new to looking for vacation rentals or a seasoned traveler with your favorite rental sites already established, I recommend trying out Flipkey for your next trip. It is always fun to have more options and see how much more your experience can be enhanced.
Disclosure: Part of this vacation rental through Flipkey was sponsored by the site but as always opinions are my own.