New Orleans has totally surprised me in many ways.
I was amazed to see how kid-friendly this city known for its festivals, food and partying is.
NOLA CVB helped me plan the whole trip. One of their many kid-friendly suggestions was the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas.
Join our NEW Facebook Community: Making Travel Easier. We promise to always tell you what we would tell our best friend -- what works for kids, what doesn’t and what you need to know before you go to have the Best. Family. Vacation. Ever. Our group of travel experts are ready to answer your travel questions!
The aquarium is located along the river walk. That was only ten minutes away from our hotel on foot (we were staying at Maison Dupuy). I loved not needing a taxi to get there.
Quick Tour of Audubon Aquarium of the Americas New Orleans
This aquarium has many amazing exhibits and interactive fun stations that we enjoyed. There are tons of tanks of all sizes all over the place. One of those cool exhibits was the recreation of huge shark jaws where my boys decided to play pretending to be lunch for the shark.
There is also a really fun exhibit that looks like it is lost in the middle of the Amazon where we spent some time.
During our walk along the aquarium we were also able to see some weird, ancient fish. There is even a Maya Exhibit with fish from the Central American Region and recreations of the Maya ruins within the tanks.
We finally made it to the Main Tank where you literally walk under it, through a sort of tunnel. This is an amazing chance to see all sorts of fish and if you pay attention, you might find a few sharks.
Then it was time for my boys to pet a sting ray and feed it too.
TravelingMom Tip: One of our favorite things to do when taking a vacation is to hire a photographer for family photos. This is a special gift and souvenir that we cherish. We use Flytographer to book a local photographer located in the area that we're traveling to. Use this link and you will get $25 off your photo session.
Information About Visiting Audubon Aquarium of the Americas
* Keep in mind that the aquarium is closed on Mondays.
Hours: Tuesday through Sunday from 10am to 5 pm.
Prices: There are tons of packages to enjoy
Regular General Admission
- $23.95 Adult Admission
- $17.95 Child (2 -12) Admission
- $18.95 Senior (65+) Admission
Aquarium and IMAX experience
- $28.95 Adult Admission
- $22.95 Child (2 -12) Admission
- $22.95 Senior (65+) Admission
- The Entergy IMAX® Theatre ticket is valid for one movie on first-come, first-served availability. Tickets may be purchased in advance and used the day of your visit.
Audubon Experience Package
- $41.95 Adult Admission
- $29.95 Child (2 -12) Admission
- $29.95 Senior (65+) Admission
- This one includes a visit to Audubon Zoo, Audubon Aquarium of the Americas, Entergy IMAX® Theatre and Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium. The packages are valid for 30 consecutive days starting with your first visit. The IMAX® ticket is valid for one movie on first-come, first-served availability. Tickets may be purchased in advance and used the day of your visit.