Outdoor events are a great way to try something new while getting some fresh air. But no matter how great the performance is, keeping the youngest minds entertained isn’t always easy. Here are a few suggestions and tips to help ensure everyone is enjoying an outdoor performance.
Listening to al fresco concert or watching an outdoor play can be a great family experience. Savvy parents choose events that are family-friendly, like Tanglewood’s Family Concert or the free dance performances on the Inside/Out stage at Jacob’s Pillow. But even the best audiences can get antsy, especially during the pre-event warm-up and intermission.
Here are some things you might want to bring along to keep you and your kids happy:
- Board games: Preferably brings ones that don’t require a lot of talking – like checkers, chess, backgammon and tic-tac-toe
- Glow wands: Even more fun if it is an outdoor event at night, glow wands or sticks are great fun for the future conductors in your family.
- Sky atlas or planisphere: If you’re far from the city lights, try star-gazing during the concert.
- Arts & Crafts: Keep it simple with crayons, markers and coloring books. Your kids will have fun drawing whatever images the music evokes in your mind.
- Magnifying glass – You never know what interesting critters will happen across your picnic blanket.
- Toy airplanes – Many outdoor venues have a space dedicated for kids’ play where your family can toss a Frisbee, kick around a soccer ball or fly light-weight airplanes.
- Binoculars – If you are sitting far from the stage, your kids can have fun observing the performers from a distance.
Be sure to pack a few of these to make your family outing fun for everyone. Do you have any suggestions for enjoying an outdoor performances? Leave your suggestions here!