Next time your family plans a trip to New York City, consider staying at a family-friendly hotel like the Marriott NYC Residence Inn Midtown East. Staying at a comfortable hotel that is able to accommodate a family’s needs is a must when traveling with children. From a refrigerator in the room for keeping a baby’s milk cold to a bathtub in the bathroom for kids, the Residence Inn New York City Midtown East has it all.
Marriott NYC Residence Inn
One of the toughest things about planning a trip to NYC with kids is finding a hotel. Hotel rooms in NYC are often tiny and usually room prices are based on the number of beds, which greatly increases the costs for larger families like mine.
Residence Inn NYC Vs. the NYC Military Lodge
Military lodging since that is one of the main perks of being a military family. Now I compare all hotels to that.
Using the government rate (military rate), the room at Residence Inn NYC is $235 a night plus taxes and fees–if that rate happens to be available. (All hotels in NYC have a military rate of $235.) In comparison, the military lodge in NYC, which happens to be extremely close by, is $185 for a family of 5 or $200 for a family of 6.
Although the Residence Inn cost a little more than the military hotel, there were some other reasons to choose the Marriott NYC over military lodging:
- At the Residence Inn, we have our own bathroom in our room so we did not have to share with anyone.
- The Residence Inn has an elevator. It sucks climbing four flights of stairs over and over when staying at the military place.
- Residence Inn offers an extensive complimentary breakfast. The military lodge offers bagels.
- Residence Inn rooms feature a full kitchen in your room and the military lodge has a kitchen you may use on the first floor.
- The military lodge has extremely limited availability.
Benefits of Staying at Residence Inn NYC
After staying at many different hotels in NYC over the years (at least 9 or 10) this one has become my favorite. I will attempt to stay here every time I visit from now on if I can get a good rate. Here are some of my favorite things about the hotel:
- FREE WiFi throughout the hotel.
- Free hot extensive buffet breakfast – saves $$.
- Military discount!
- Accessible rooms with 32″ wide openings
- Fully equipped kitchens, so you may save $$ on food and you have a WINE OPENER!
- On-site Market is open 24/7 for a snack or toiletry item you forgot to pack. (I always forget something ridiculous and my children are always starving.)
- 24/7 Fitness Center helps you maintain your routine while on the road.
- Grocery shopping service available.
- In-room iPod dock and safe.
- Large, ergonomic work area in every suite.
- Comfortable beds.
- Short walk to the subway.
Breakfast at the Residence Inn NYC
The breakfast was so outstanding at this hotel that it made a huge impact on our trip. I can’t say how nice it was to see so many options available at a complimentary breakfast.
My daughter has food allergies and it was no issue at all because of the variety. I tend to always stay at a hotel with free breakfast, because the kids are always hungry when they wake up and it just starts the day off right.