1. Chrysler Museum of Art Glass Studio This glass-blowing studio opened in November, 2011. The city brought in glass-makers, sculptors and experts from around the country to create a state-of-the art facility that not only produces incredible work, but educates the community about the trade. There are free daily demonstrations from noon – 1 pm every Wednesday – Sunday.
2. Trail Walking & Off-Road Biking The Elizabeth River Trail provides paths for trail walking or off-road biking. Go from the Norfolk Naval Base, in the northern part of the city, into downtown Norfolk.
3. Civil War Trail and Cannon Ball Trail These self-guided walking tours take you through historic Norfolk with stops including Fort Norfolk, the historic Freemason District and the West Point Memorial.
4. Ocean View Beach Park The beach boasts picnic tables a boathouse and a gazebo for free concerts including Big Bands on the Bay where everyone can enjoy celebrations and dancing to live band music every Sunday through Labor Day. There is also free parking.
5. Town Point Park The 7 acre waterfront park has free festivals throughout the year:
The annual Norfolk Harborfest: one of coastal Virginia’s most popular festivals features tall ships, the largest fireworks show on the East Coast, local, regional and national entertainment, family activities, unique and unusual performances, water activities, and much more.
24th annual Bayou Boogaloo And Cajun Food Festival: the annual festival delivers the heart and soul of Louisiana in true Cajun Style, featuring local New Orleans musicians and artists who are sure to get your hands clapping, feet two-steppin’ and heart pumping all weekend long. June 21-23, 2013; Fri: 5-10pm, Sat: noon– 10pm, Sun: noon–6pm
Annual Fourth Of July Great American Picnic & Fireworks: celebrate USA’s independence with Norfolk’s annual festival featuring live music, family activities, fireworks, an All-American feast, and more!
Annual Reggae Solstice: the region’s best local and national recording artist gather for this cultural celebration, offering plenty of food, beverage, and the perfect outdoor waterfront setting for summertime fun.
Annual Norfolk Latino Music Festival: the largest outdoor dance floor in Hampton Roads heats up with the hottest salsa, meringue, and guaguanco dancing in the East Coast, featuring local, regional and national Latin recording artists.
Town Point Ribfest: this festival boasts finger-lickin’, lip-smackin’ BBQ from the best of the best BBQ restaurants in Virginia, along with great live music, competitions and great family fun.
Click for more information.