If you live in an area that has warm weather year round, you may need to know how to pack for a cold weather trip. Maybe you own a sweater or a pair of closed shoes, but nothing close to what is needed in cold weather. What do you pack for the cold — without spending a fortune?
- Jackets or Coats – Instead of spending a lot of money on a jacket or coat, buy a few heavy sweaters so you can layer your clothing. If you really want outerwear to keep you warm, check for sales online, especially after the winter.
- Shoes – If there is a possibility of snow, get a pair of boots specifically labeled for snow. Most of the time, you can wear them even when it doesn’t snow. Don’t forget slippers or slipper socks. You will not be used to cold floors.
- Socks – Heavy socks will keep your feet warm, which keeps you comfortable. You may want to consider knee highs or other types instead of ankle socks.
- Hats, Gloves, Scarves – It may be worth it to buy these items at your destination since they might be expensive in your area. Buy them. You will be happy and warmer that you did.
- Toiletries – Bring along lip balm to prevent chapped lips. Don’t forget your favorite moisturizer to keep your skin soft in cold temperatures. Sunscreen is always needed no matter the temperature.
- Extras – If you will be outdoors a great deal of the time or in especially cold weather, hand warmers are worth it. You wear them under your gloves and they last for hours. For those of you who cannot be without your smartphone, you can buy gloves that allow you to touch your mobile phone screen. Over the counter supplements such as Airborne to prevent colds can be helpful. Take along your favorite packaged soup or hot chocolate to warm you up when you go indoor.
When you come from a warm weather location to a cold climate, your body may be shocked by the change in temperature. Do your best to pack for cold weather travel to allow you to enjoy your trip to the fullest.