The holidays are here which brings the hustle and bustle of holiday traveling. While many families are on the move together sometimes children have to get to their destination solo. That can be frightening for mom and child. The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) recently released several tips to help keep kids safe when traveling alone. If your child will be riding a train, plane or bus by them self this season here are some precautions to consider:
- When you make reservations for your child, specify that the child will be traveling alone.
- Whenever possible, book a non-stop flight or direct route. Avoid booking the last flight of the day.
- Plan to visit the airport, train or bus terminal prior to departure. Let your child know what to expect, so the experience will not be so intimidating.
- In case of delay or cancellation, remain at the station or gate until the train, plane or bus departs.
- Make sure children travel with proper identification and parents or guardian contact information.
- Always have a back-up plan for the person or people meeting the plane at the destination, in case they are delayed.
- Encourage children not to become too friendly with other passengers or to reveal any personal information.
For more information and safety tips, visit www.missingkids.com.
Until next time, I’m off and running …
Photo credit: Flickr, Hunter-Desportes