Ideally, it is vacation time, and we can throw away all the rules, unfortunately, for some of us (like me) we are passed our youthfulness and have to watch our diet even while we travel. This has to be one of my BIGGEST struggles during traveling, and something I learned the hard way! No lie I love that southern comfort food, those adorable little ice cream shops, and Missouri has some of the finest fair food around, but all those foods also seem to love my HIPS!
Here are few things that I have learned over the past few years to help me stay healthy while traveling!
- Avoid Soda; at all cost I avoid soda while traveling. The sodium is worse than the sugar and caffeine and can make you feel bloated and uncomfortable….when we are uncomfortable what we do? Reach for that comfort food…BAD IDEA.
- Make one meal a day a vegetarian meal. This is my habit traveling or not traveling, but really helps while traveling! Luckily most fast food restaurants, diners, and pretty much anywhere serve up some delicious salads.
- Pack a variety of fruit; I never leave our house without at least a few apples, oranges, and some kind of tropical fruit. I usually pack grapefruit, I know yuck, well I happen to love those sour things, but they are also good for you. Watermelon is another fruit, I try to tote along, especially on those hot summer days!
- Drink LOTS of water; well this is one of the DUH statements, but is so TRUE! Water fills your belly and makes you feel full, so you are less likely to snack! I also drink a full 8 oz glass of water 15 minutes prior to each mealtime, it helps curb the appetite.
- Pack unique snacks, often loaded in my car is popcorn, nuts, granola bars, and dried fruit….I battle those traffic jam munchies just as much as the next gal, and I never want to find myself with a bag of greasy potato chips in my lap!
- My new discovery, thanks to one of my dear Aunts, Whisp Toothbrushes…..I know your giggling now! It is a proven fact if you taste food you crave food! I keep a package of these in my car, and brush my teeth often….one of my friends says I am addicted! Nah just health conscious.
- I know when dining out I want Steak, Potatoes, Bread, and some smothered in butter veggies…..usually the portion size is enough for three meals! Here is my trick, when it is allowed, I order a meal for me, a meal for the husband, one for the daughter, and our son eats off all three of our plates. That way he gets to sample everything and it cuts our portions down.
- Pack a picnic, go for desert….I do this often! Pack a healthy picnic lunch, and then stop for desert! This way the kids are getting a treat, and we are cutting back elsewhere!
- Never leave behind the running gear! Well not everyone is a runner, but at least pack some walking shoes. Normally we stay pretty active on vacations, but we also spend plenty of time sitting in the car! Everywhere we go, so goes my running shoes!
- Book hotels with fitness facilities….This is the first thing I check for when I am booking a hotel! If there is no fitness facility available, I call ahead to see where the closest running track is, or ask how their town is laid out for runners and cyclers, that way I have plan and feel the need to stick to it.
- Avoid Alcohol….this is HARD, especially living in the middle of Missouri Wine Country! Here is something I learned to do rather I am drinking wine, beer, mixed drinks, coke, or coffee! Order 1 glass of wine, and 1 glass of water, when you finish your wine, then drink your water. You really won’t notice the difference, and you will be avoiding those calories.
We all bend and break rules and that is okay, after vacation is about having fun. However, I have often come back from vacation and realized I have gained those few pounds back that I had worked so hard to lose prior to vacation! If you have any tips and ideas of how you stay “healthier” while traveling, I am always open for new suggestions!
Have an Adventurous Day!
Becky is the Missouri Traveling Mom, her blog site is Adventures Among Us. She not only shares a unique passion for traveling with her family, but traveling in Missouri. For more of Becky’s adventures find her on facebook Adventures Among Us, or follow her on Twitter @BeckyAdventure.