A car is a very important purchase for anyone, but when you are constantly traveling there are a few more things you need to consider. Knowing what mistakes to avoid, as well as some car buying tips for moms, when you are purchasing a new vehicle will help make the transaction go much smoother.
Five simple mistakes to avoid and Car Buying Tips for Moms:
- Don’t fall in love with a car you can’t afford- Seriously, this is a piece of machinery, a piece of machinery should not take over your mind! Don’t become emotionally attached to a vehicle just because you want it. Make sure you can afford it. Fill what you need first, not just you want.
- Not researching the vehicle you have been thinking about before you hit the dealership-Don’t just walk into a dealership without some sense of what you are looking for and what needs you are trying to fulfill. This can become very daunting and overwhelming if you don’t have a sense of your needs. This can put you in a position of accepting something that you may have never wanted. Salespeople can smell vulnerability.
- Don’t believe everything you hear-Don’t just shop one dealership. Make sure you get at least three dealer quotes. In writing! The total deal. Not just sale price. A deal is not a deal based just on sale price alone. People make this mistake ALL THE TIME. You want all the charges! (for a total list, book a consult with me for my expert opinion, or to do a deal check to make sure you are doing the best you for yourself! at firstname.lastname@example.org. Then go back and negotiate again. (if you hate to negotiate you can hire me to do it for you at email@example.com) Price is just the beginning of a deal not the end! Remember, a deal is not a deal unless it works for you!
- Buy or lease with a financial plan in mind. This is a huge financial commitment and decision one not to be taken lightly. Get real and decide your budget before you step into the dealership, remember to think about maintenance costs, insurance and payments. Then keep your budget to yourself.
- Don’t be talked up. If you have a budget in mind, really try to stick with it. Don’t let the moment take you over. Don’t be persuaded into something you are not ready for because you feel intimidated. Be willing to walk away to think about it. Believe me, they aren’t going ANYWHERE. They will still want your business tomorrow.
Nicole Markson is a graduate of The National Automobile Dealers Association NADA Dealer Candidate Academy and has 15 years of experience in the auto world. Nicole trained in all areas of the dealership including New Car Sales, Service, Parts, Finance, and Customer service. And so, now with fifteen years under her belt, Auto Empowerment was born; a company dedicated to educating, inspiring and empowering women to learn about the auto buying process. She can be heard giving auto advice as an expert on the Radio Show “The Auto Lab“, in NYC on 570AM on Saturday mornings.
When Nicole isn’t working, she loves spending time with her daughter, husband Jed and their Shitzu-Poodle Goldie. Nicole loves taking spin classes, going out to dinner, working on real estate projects, reading business books, singing in her rock band, traveling, attending self improvement educational seminars, can be found checking in at Weight Watchers, and is a Breast Cancer survivor.