Summertime in Orange County is filled with beach fun for families that live in the area or travel here. The longer I live here, the more I realize how many people travel to southern California each summer. It seems they come for two reasons – the amazing weather and the beautiful beaches.
When assembling your beach packing list, the most important thing to remember is that getting to the beach almost always requires a little walking. If you remember that your packing will become faster and lighter.
Find a lightweight bag that is comfortable to carry and fill it with these essential items. Make sure you have an SPF shirt or rash guard on before you leave.
1.Sunscreen and Sun Hats – The sun can sneak up on you, especially with the ocean breeze masking it. Use a broad spectrum UVA/AVB sunblock to protect your skin; don’t forget those easy to miss areas like your ears and the part in your hair. If you are going to be out in the sun longer than a couple hours, pack a sun hat.
2. Umbrella – Bring a small beach umbrella so you can relax and give everyone in the family a break from the sun. Costco carries Tommy Bahama umbrellas that are cost effective and lightweight for carrying.
3. Towels – Roll up one for each person and toss them in your bag. You may want to bring more but trust me, kids can get by with a towel with a bit of sand on it.
4. Goggles – The salt water can be hard for kids’ eyes, especially when they are not used to it. Toss a pair in your bag so everyone can enjoy the ocean to the fullest potential.
5. Boogie Board – A boogie board provides hours of entertainment at the beach and helps teach children to become comfortable in deeper water. Boards are easy enough to carry under your arm on your way to the beach.
6. Beach Toys – A bucket and two shovels. My best advice is to bring heavy duty shovels; we have spent full days digging little holes that our kids can play in. Just be sure to fill the holes up before you leave.
7. A Bluetooth Speaker and Headphones — The music is great for a group gathering, relaxing for a solo beach day, and soothing for a family day. We are loving the PowerSound II Bluetooth speaker from PowerStick. We toss our Cellairis Cadence headphones in as well in case anyone needs some quiet time.
8. Snacks and Water Bottles – Toss in a few bags of chips and water bottles and you are ready to go.
One of the best things about beach vacation is you can travel light. You should be able to fit this into one large bag and possibly another smaller bag making it easy for a family to carry to the beach.