passportluggageI travel a lot, but up until recently, I didn’t have a valid passport.  My old passport had expired sometime between baby #1 and baby #2, and renewing it wasn’t on my long list of to dos.  I did travel with the kids when they were little, but we never left the country.  When I did finally emerge from my mommy fog, I saw that a new option existed – the US Passport Card.  So, which option should you go with?

For most travelers, it probably makes sense to get the full US Passport book.  Although there is a price difference, you never know when you’ll need it.  Even if you plan to drive to Mexico/Canada, or cruise to the Caribbean, what if an emergency occurs and you need to fly out quickly?  You’ll need that passport to get back into the US.

When I evaluated my options, I chose to get both the US Passport and the US Passport Card.  I don’t always travel with my passport, but I love having the US Passport Card in addition to my driver’s license.  It’s a great backup to have just in case I misplace my driver’s license during my trip.

Regardless what you choose, make sure you make a photocopy of it and store it in a separate location when you travel – just in case you lose your wallet or purse.


Jodi Grundig, Finance Traveling Mom, regularly writes about her travels on Family Travel Magazine and Mom’s Favorite Stuff.