car_luggageThis morning my husband woke me up at 6:00am, “it’s time to get ready to go.” I lingered for a minute, or two, thinking…”wow, this is it…this is really it, we’re leaving.” I didn’t have too long to sit there and reflect, as we still had so much to do, and had to leave the house no later than 7:45am.

There was a lot of hustle and bustle in the house. My in-laws were up at 5:00, prepping for a Gold Wing bike ride, raising money for kids with cancer. They had to leave by 6:30! My husband’s brother and his family were also staying at the house, as it’s also the family reunion weekend. Every year, the second weekend in August, it’s the family reunion…wouldn’t you know our tickets are for that very exact day. So, with the bike ride, the reunion, and a total of 12 people in the house needing to get ready…it woke me up quickly!

Our first dilemma was finishing the packing! We had 11 airport-luggagesuitcases…I know…A LOT…but not when you consider that we are moving our life across the World. So, 11 suitcases. The problem? We were overweight on two. We agreed we would pay for one overweight bag…no more. So, the digging began. What could we leave home? Guess what…I left TWO pairs of SHOES home! CUTE shoes too! But girls, don’t fret, that just means I get to go shoe shopping when I get there! LOL! We also pulled out some clothes and some sippy cups…I can just get those there too! We eventually made it to the 50 lbs limit on one bag, and our other one…the over weight one…I don’t even know how heavy that thing was…and I didn’t care. By now, it’s 6:45 and I have three children to bathe, get dressed, and then shower and get ready myself.


trunkiAt 7:45, we were pulling out…we did it. We said our very sad good-byes to the family, shed more tears than I anticipated, and we were off. I felt sick the whole way to the airport. I looked at our mountains one last time. I looked at familiar landmarks one last time. OMG…I am leaving the country today. The airport was rather comical to see. We pulled up, two cars, and started unloading all 11 suitcases, 5 carry-ons, and 3 car seats. The biggest attraction? Ellison’s Trunki! The stares, the comments, the laughter…everyone loved seeing her ride the Trunki through the airport…and I must say…it was TOTALLY worth the money! We had all our suitcases and carryons labeled, thanks to Mabel’s Labels too! Everything right on down to the kids’ sports bottles and earphones. They are also wearing their 911 wrist bands with daddy’s phone number.mabels-labels

On our first flight, our seating configurations were 3 and 2…10 rows apart. I sat with Eden, daddy sat with Edward and Ellison. Thank goodness for our ipods, iphones, and the itouch! They were GREAT in keeping them totally entertained for the 3 hour 45 minute flight to New York. Ellison and Edward even slept for the last hour! It was really peaceful…I couldn’t believe how well it was going. I got to read a bit of Eat, Pray, Love, and then watch The Joneses (not worth it). But, alas, the air sickness hit me…not gross or anything, but I couldn’t read if I wanted to. I don’t get air sick. Not until now! I even bought those wrist bands that hit your pressure points from REI, didn’t help. I don’t wish that feeling on anyone…especially when traveling with kids who want your attention and to interact. DeltaskyclubWe arrived at JFK ONE HOUR early! That now leaves us with six hours to entertain our children at the air port…yeah, how do you do that? LOL! Here’s how…the Delta Sky Club private room…could Ellison be any more content?

Stay tuned for part 2…the arrival in Abu Dhabi! We will board our plane at 10:50pm tonight, and it’s a 13 hour flight direct to Abu Dhabi.

Thanks for sharing in our adventures!