Like most frequent travelers, I spend a fair share of time waiting at the airport. Whether it’s flight delays or cancellations due to bad weather or just arriving too early for a flight, I often find myself sitting at the gate, staring out the window at planes taking off and landing, and waiting.
While I rarely leave home without a good book and some knitting to keep me occupied, sometimes it’s not enough. Here are five other ways to pass the time when waiting at the airport.
1. Relax with a spa treatment. Many airports have spas that offer decently priced chair massages, as well as manicures and pedicures. If you have the time, why not indulge in a special treatment – especially if you’re traveling sans kids?
2. Take a tour. Wander the terminal and check out the artwork, views or other sights. Some airports offer outdoor viewing decks as well, where passengers can get a breath of fresh air and a view of the runways. If you’re really into aviation (or traveling with kids who are), many airports offer tours.
3. People watch. Find a comfortable seat and watch passengers and workers pass by. One of my favorite things to do is make up stories about where people are going and why. Get your kids involved as well!
4. Have a snack or beverage. Whether it’s a decaf latte or a fruit smoothie, sit back and relax with a snack while you wait.
5. Strike up a conversation. The art of conversation is not dead. Talk to the person next to you. Where are they traveling to? For what reason? You never know what you might learn about someone else – and yourself in the process. Waiting at the airport can be a hassle; however, there are some ways to pass the time. What’s your favorite airport time waster?