Instead of fumbling with tickets, credit cards, room key cards and PhotoPass cards, take advantage of the Disney MagicBands. MagicBands are bracelets that contain all of the information you add via the Disney Experience website and are a real timesaver, since you use your band for most everything.
As of now, most resorts are providing them for guests who want to give them a try. Others are chosen to be testers before you arrive at Disney. During my recent trip to Walt Disney World, I was a beta tester. Instead of the plain gray bands that are given to those who didn’t customize them via the website, I was able to choose the color. The choices include pink, orange, blue, etc. You can also add information on the inside of your band, such as your name or a special date.
Disney MagicBands are simply magical. Think tap, tap, tap. Tap them to enter your resort room, to pay for counter service meals and other goodies, to enter parks and to get your Fast Pass+ cards. The next best thing will be when your band can actually open your hotel room. That has been my wish for years as a traveler with a disability. Just imagine automatic doors in hotels — be still my heart.
Register and Customize Your Disney MagicBand
- Visit MyDisneyExperience.com and either register for an account or log in if you have a Disney.com account.
- Connect the members of your traveling group first.
- Choose a color and wording for your band.
- Connect your tickets or passes to the parks, your resort reservations and any dining reservations.
- Choose up to three FastPass+ per day/per park.
Using Your Disney MagicBand
- My biggest tip is to have your MagicBand handy, especially when you are checking in to the resort. Don’t rummage through your luggage while people are waiting in line behind you.
- When you check in, you will use your MagicBand if you connected your reservation. It is a time saver.
- Just tap it on the Mickey Mouse shaped touch point on your hotel room door, at the entrance to the parks and at the register. When paying for meals at sit down restaurants, servers carry a device to scan your band.
- The bands are comfortable, even when it is hot enough outside to fry an egg. You can even wear them while swimming.
- If you have a pacemaker, an insulin pump or other implanted medical devices you should check with your doctor or the manufacturer of you device before you wear a Disney MagicBand.
FAQs About Disney MagicBands
- MagicBands are used at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland.
- You can connect your credit card to your Disney MagicBand. After all, that is how paying for things works. If you are concerned about privacy, choose a card instead of a band.
- The deadline to register your band is 10 days prior to your trip.
- You can use the same MagicBand for each trip to Disney. Just change the dates and other information.
- Besides tapping your band for payment, you will need to enter a PIN number. Each member of your party will use the same PIN.
- You can purchase bling for your band, including wraps and clip-ons.
- If you are having technical problems with your MagicBand, speak to a Cast Member at the front desk or concierge at your resort or any Cast Member in the parks. You may be directed to Guest Relations if necessary.
- Keep in mind that because this is still in the testing phase, problems may occur. Always keep your paper tickets or cards with you.
My MagicBand worked just fine, except when I tried to enter the Magic Kingdom. We tried my annual pass card instead, but it showed that it was my husband’s. After a few tries, I was allowed in. Otherwise, I found the MagicBands saved time and was a cool looking accessory.
Let me know if you have used the MagicBands yet. Did you find it to be a timesaver?
Photo credit: http://cathyherard.com/