Research shows that children’s educational development slumps during the inactive summer vacation months — a phenomenon known as “Summer Learning Loss.” In fact, students score lower on standardized tests at the end of the summer than they do at the beginning of summer.
However, according to a recent American Express Spending & Saving Tracker Survey, the overwhelming majority of parents believe that learning should continue far after the last school bell has rung. I certainly believe that exercising a child’s mind during the summer is crucial so that your child doesn’t slip backwards on the learning curve.
- 45% of parents say their summer vacation plans this year will in fact include an educational component.
- Specifically, 30% will head to a destination to explore its history and culture and 8% will travel to a destination focused on culinary arts
Whether traveling with a three-year-old or a thirteen-year-old, American Express has resources to help any parent take their lesson plan on the road with them this summer. That sounds great but they also help parents maximize those hard earned dollars with value-added benefits.
So whether you choose a pre-arranged “Brain Boosting” package or design your own learning vacation, families who book through American Express Travel online or over-the-phone will receive perks that make their summer vacation more enjoyable and hassle-free.
One example of a pre-arranged “Brain Boosting” package is Patriots of America, which takes families through Pennsylvania and Washington DC:
- Offers a close-up look at the first government seat of the United States during a time when electric lights and motorcars were a thing of the future.
- A visit Amish country and the battlefields of Gettysburg; the U.S. Marine Corps, Colonial Williamsburg, Mount Vernon and all the great monuments of Washington, DC.
- The package typically includes 14 meals, a $200 discount for children under 12, and all gratuities.
- Additionally, American Express Cardmembers also receive a $250 discount per child under 18.
Alternately, families can plan their own vacation without the service of an American Express travel specialist, but still take advantage of hotel perks available in historic cities through the Destination Family program.
Definitely check out the Destination Family program to investigate the many perks and amenities that are available when you are investigating your summer plans.
Disclosure: NYC Single Traveling Mom was not compensated for this editorial post.