Are you up to date on all of the latest travel related technology? Technology can make our lives easier when it comes to travel. TravelingMom and Techlicious collaborated together with the Consumer Technology Association to review the top tech items of the summer travel season. I am excited to share the seven must have items for summer travel this year.
I was fortunate enough to be able to attend this event at The Willard InterContinental Hotel and learn about great technology and apps we can use for travel. The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) sponsored the event and brought a fantastic amount of diverse items to preview. If you aren’t aware who CTA is; they are the company that puts on the biggest tech conference each year in Vegas. We were learning about great new products from the best of the best in the tech world. Admittedly I am not a super tech person; meaning I don’t have to run out for the latest and greatest on the market. I do however love products that are practical and will get a lot of use while I travel be it solo or with the family. I would use every single item we learned about, and I want to share them with you.
Summer Travel Technology Guide
Do you lose your keys a lot? I don’t lose them as much at home as I do when I travel. Almost every trip once we return to the car at the airport I have a mini heart attack trying to find the car keys; I always think I left them on a cruise ship or in a hotel. There is a new solution to end those mini moments of panic when you can’t find your keys. The HButler ORBIT is a Bluetooth device, with an easy to use app that finds items in seconds; like your keys. Via the free app, you can check the map for your ORBITS last known location and time. You can also find your phone with ORBIT. Press ORBIT to make your phone ring; even if it’s on silent! No more lost keys on the beach with this device; just check the app and you will be in the car in no time.
Where are my travel fashionistas at? I am in love with this next product! The Knomo Elektronista is a brand new purse and portable charger. It is sleek and sexy on the outside and practical on the inside. Made from soft full grain leather you would never know this was a tech bag. This bag is also pick pocket proof, they would literally have to drag you down with the bag to get inside it. I need this bag in my life; especially for trips into New York City. The Knomo Elektronista includes a 3000mAh battery to keep devices charged on the go. There’s space for just about everything your digital life demands from up to a 10″ tablet, your smartphone, passports, USB sticks, charging cables, headphones and much more. I was blown away by how stylish this bag is.
If you are heading on a road trip or even a short plane ride with kids you will want this next item. My seven-year old is obsessed with her digital devices and we always make her wear headphones on the plane or in the car as not to disturb others. We have searched high and low for the perfect kid friendly headphones for her. Finally with the JVC Tinyphones HA-KD6 we found them! With these I don’t have to yell at her to turn the volume down, they only go up to a certain decible so the kids don’t damage their ears.
The majority of my travel is spent outside whether in a theme park, on a cruise or at the beach. This can often be the most difficult time to keep your devices charged at 100%. Nothing like trying to capture that end of the day photo and the phone shuts down. With the all new WakaWaka products you can stay charged because this external battery is solar-powered. We just bought a boat and my teens biggest concern is staying plugged it. With the WakaWaka we won’t have to worry about her struggle to be connected. We were shown two products during the event and they are both great. I love the rugged durability of the power bank; it could withstand my kids dropping it.
- TheWakaWaka Base 10 is the next step in portable solar: the ultimate all-in-one compact solar power bank is for anyone on the go who can’t be left without power. Perfect for modern-day explorer, the WakaWaka Base 10 has a 10,000 mA battery and also comes with two portable LED flashlights. After a single day in the sun, the powerful Base 10 will charge up to 3 devices at once or provide up to 240 hours of LED light.
- A few hours in the sun and the WakaWaka Power+ flashlight and charger puts up to 150 hours of light and a smart phone, camera or tab let charge in the palm of your hands: no batteries or outlet necessary.
OlloClip Mobile Lens
I am really bad about taking my larger camera with me anywhere, frankly I just don’t want to lug it around. With that said I also wish my phone had a much better camera, it’s not terrible but I can’t get the shots I can with my camera. The new Olloclip mobile lens will allow instagram worthy shots to be taken with my phone. If you spend a good deal of time-sharing photos on social media you will want this accessory. You can choose from four lenses for your device to grab the perfect shots.
RICOH THETA S
Often times I wish I could share a full 360 photo without using the panoramic still feature. RICOH THETA S is no ordinary camera; it is the first consumer camera that captures fully spherical still photos and videos of the space around you, all 360° of it, at the touch of a button. Video is the next big thing, everyone seems to be on you-tube and other live channels. Wouldn’t it be great to get a full 360 shot of the fireworks at Disney live? I know I would tune into the channel streaming those for sure!
Roadtrips can often mean roadside assistance is needed. This is never a fun part of travel, but it is a reality. Urgent.ly is America’s Leading On-Demand Roadside Assistance Service. With thousands of trusted service providers nationwide, Uber-like visibility and flat-rate, pay-per-use pricing, they are the better alternative to traditional roadside assistance clubs. Download the app for fast service. I really wish we had this when we lost our cars air conditioner with two whiny kids during July in South Carolina only 30 miles from our hotel.
Preserve Your Travel Memories
I am really bad about uploading photos or making albums once we return from a trip. Everything is on my phone or camera and I never seem to do much beyond uploading it to the computer. I really love going to my parents house and seeing all of the albums and memories from my childhood. With these tools I can now sit down and take the time to preserve my kids memories for the future.
Here are three great tech tools to save your memories from being lost on your computer.
- The Egg is a smart storage device, personal web server and portable media streamer in a sleek form-factor that you can carry in your pocket. Share files privately on the fly from anywhere in the world. Free up storage on your phone, cameras and other devices. Stream high definition video seamlessly.
- Adobe Spark is an integrated web and mobile solution for creating and sharing stunning visual stories for users of all skill levels. Designed for everyday communications, Adobe Spark enables anyone; even grandparents to create beautiful content. This is a super fun, super easy way of memory keeping! Best of all it is FREE.
- Shutterfly’s one-of-a-kind, high-quality custom photo books are a great way to keep your favorite memories close. Choose from five different sizes and a variety of cover options and unique backgrounds, then fill the pages with your story. You can get your photos from anywhere and, if you’re in a rush, smart autofill will create your book for you. You can always go back and edit your photos and add text. Simply drag and drop to add, move and resize photos and text anywhere. I find deals all of the time on Shutterfly, keep an eye out and you can make hard cover books for little to nothing.
To stay up to date on all things technology in the travel industry be sure to stay connected to the Consumer Technology Association. For honest reviews and help with these products the best site in my opinion is Techlicious, they explain products in more laments terms and break down the ease of use.
Which of these great tech devices do you want for your next travel adventure?