Finding the best snack options for travel is hard enough on its own. Toss the need for healthy Keto diet snacks into the mix and the tough just gets tougher. While it may be tempting to grab whatever is available and looks tasty during your layover or gas station stop, don’t! Instead, use this list of Keto snack ideas to plan ahead for your trip. You’ll appreciate having a healthy snack within arms reach after a long day of travel.
One of the most common tips heard from experienced TravelingMoms is that creating a meal plan is a must and this includes snacks! There’s nothing worse than battling an empty stomach after hours of traffic jams and delays. On days when travel doesn’t go exactly as planned–which, let’s face it, is quite often–those pre-planned snacks could easily make all the difference.
For those on a Ketogenic diet, this tip becomes even more helpful. We recommend picking up keto-friendly snacks ahead of time at your local grocery store (you can find a good selection at Target or Walmart) or by ordering a shipment of keto foods from Whole Foods Market on Amazon. Not sure what Keto Snacks are best to take on the go? We’ve listed several of our favorites below.
What is the Keto Diet?
The Ketogenic diet (Keto for short) is a very low-carb, high-fat diet, similar to Atkins. The main focus is to reduce carbohydrate intake (including all added sugar) and replace it with fat. The reduction in carbs puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis. It lowers blood sugar and insulin levels, and shifts the body’s metabolism away from carbs and towards fat and ketones. Ketogenic diets are said to have benefits against diabetes, cancer, epilepsy and Alzheimer’s disease.
7 Best Low Carb (Keto Diet) Travel Snacks
Sticking to a diet while traveling doesn’t have to be difficult. With a little advanced planning, finding high-fat, low-carb snacks to travel with is a breeze. Here are 7 of my favorite travel-friendly Keto diet snacks.
Quick Keto Snacks on the Go
Prior to Keto, my typical travel snacks included potato chips, candy bars, Combos and other salty goodness. Once I committed to the Keto, low-carb way of life, I had to find better options. If you love a good salty snack, here are several of my favorites:
1. ParmCrisps or Whisps. One of the hardest parts of going Keto is giving up potato chips. I discovered that parmesan cheese crisps satisfy the salty, crispy cravings. My two favorite brands are ParmCrips and Whisps. These cheese crips are the perfect Keto diet snacks.
2. Oh Snap! Pickles. This is another product I found when planning a road trip this past summer. Individual packets of salty, dill pickles – yes, please! Oh Snap! Pickles can be found at Target and many gas stations. Throw several packets in your cooler and you are good to go.
3. Chicharrones a/k/a Pork Skins. Another salty substitute for potato chips is Chicharrones, also known as pork skins or pork rinds. Since your keto meal requires a high fat intake, pork skins are a great snack option. At first, I was absolutely against eating these things, but they grew on me. Pork skins can be found at Target, in almost every gas station or convenience store, making them great Keto diet snacks.
Easy Keto Snacks on the Go
Who doesn’t love a diet that actually REQUIRES a high fat intake? In order to be in ketosis (fat-burning mode) your body must have a significant amount of healthy fats. Some of my favorite high fat Keto travel snacks include:
4. Pepperoni & Cream Cheese. Snacking on pepperoni and cream cheese seriously feels like cheating. If you pack a small cooler, you can easily transport these two items on any road trip.
5. Babybel Cheese. I could snack on cheese all day long. Another high-fat, Keto-approved snack that I love is individually wrapped Babybel cheese. Their small size can easily fit in a cooler for road trips. Plus, they come in a variety of tasty flavors like mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
Sweet Keto Snacks on the Go
Let’s face it, there aren’t many people who can say they don’t have a sweet tooth. Since the Keto diet restricts sugar intake, you’re pretty limited on sweet treats. You can always bake them yourself; however, ingredients for baking Keto-approved foods can be expensive. Luckily, I found a bakery that bakes low-carb cookies and ships them directly to your home. Score!
6. Fat Snax Cookies. These absolutely amazing chocolate chip cookies are hands down the best Keto-approved snack I’ve found. Made in a bakery in Brooklyn, Fat Snax owner Jeff Frese prepares these Keto, Paleo, sugar-free and gluten-free delicacies that provide you with a no-guilt sweet treat. There are several flavors to choose from including peanut butter, maple pecan, chocolate chip or double chocolate. Plus, each package clearly lists the contents net carbs and healthy fats. Place your orders online and within days your freshly baked cookies arrive (usually with a handwritten thank you note from Jeff).
TravelingMom Tip – Allergy alert – One of the main ingredients in Fat Snax cookies is nuts, including almond flour. If you have a nut allergy this is not for you.
If you like to bake and are looking for delicious Keto snack recipes, I highly recommend kaseytrenum.com. She has the easiest, best-tasting Keto recipes I have found. Be sure to check out the Candied Pecans, Chocolate Fat Bombs and Baked Zucchini Chips recipes for on-the-go snack ideas.
Best Keto Snacks on the Go for Low Carb Diets
First of all, I am not a representative of Advocare. I’m not here trying to make a profit. I do, however, take the Keto diet approved Advocare supplements Spark & Slim.
7. Advocare Spark & Slim. I honestly cannot live without my daily (sometimes multiple times a day) Advocare Spark and Slim fix. Advocare Spark has all but replaced my coffee addiction.
They come in handy travel-size packets making them an easy low-carb option for you to take on the road. All you need is a bottle of water to pour the packet into and you’re all set.
Since the Keto diet is all about adding good fats, I add 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream to mine. Yes, you read that correctly. You can actually have heavy whipping cream on a diet. Crazy, right? Buy a small container of heavy whipping cream and stow it away in your cooler and you are good to go.