As a frequent business traveler I am always looking at hotels with two different sets of eyes. First, is it convenient and comfortable for business travel. Do room rates align with my work budget? Is it quiet? How are the amenities that I’ll use like the breakfast and business center? But with a second glance I am assessing how convenient is it to family friendly fun? What type of pool does it have? Would my family be able to tag along on a trip with me at that hotel? The Wyndham Houston West Energy Corridor was the perfect blend of both business and family friendly design.
The Wyndham Houston West Energy Corridor is located conveniently near energy companies for business travelers. For families, it’s great West Houston location is close to many museums, the zoo, and other family-friendly attractions. Yet this area allows travelers to steer clear of downtown traffic and the construction mess going on just north of downtown. In addition, the hotel offers a complimentary shuttle to restaurants, shopping or activities within 5 miles of the hotel.
WYNDHAM HOUSTON- WHAT WORKS FOR FAMILIES:
- Great lobby pool. The large pool in the lobby area offers the best of both worlds. Weather won’t effect your poolside plans at this indoor pool that channels the outdoors with the giant skylight setup.
- Location. This hotel is out of the hub of Houston but still convenient to many kid friendly attractions. This means less traffic and less time in the car. Plus with free self-parking you can come and go as you please. If you don’t feel like driving the hotel offers a complimentary shuttle within 5 miles.
- On-site restaurants. Ten Bar & Lounge is conveniently located off the lobby of the hotel and is perfect for nights that you just can’t imagine dragging the kids out for dinner. It’s also extremely convenient for business travelers to grab a quick bite at when you’ve got a presentation to finish and don’t want to explore the area. The food was excellent with a wide range of choices ranging from seafood to burgers and some inventive and unique offerings like a Shrimp & Duck Bisque topped with Duck Confit and Blueberry Oil. The Wyndham recently brought over Chef Justin Strang from the Houston House of Blues. Selfishly- I am a huge fan of Chef Strang’s Charleston training as I love Southern food.
- Welcome Amenity. One of the things I love about the Wyndham Rewards Program is access to a free Welcome Amenity with some of the upper tiers. My kids were delighted when chocolate milk and cookies showed up to our room and of course this would be available to order as well. I am in my third trimester so they snacked and watched cartoons while I took a much needed nap!
WYNDHAM HOUSTON WEST: WHAT DOESN’T WORK FOR FAMILIES
- Overall this hotel was extremely family friendly so I only had one downside. The breakfast buffet at Park Restaurant was expansive with TONS of choices however, at $16/per person it was pretty steep for a larger family like mine. Some hotel rewards programs include free breakfast once you hit a certain level but Wyndham Rewards is not one of them.
Overall, the Wyndham Houston West in the Energy Corridor delivers. If you are planning a business trip to Houston I highly recommend it and you could have your family tag along with the Houston Zoo and Children’s Museum nearby. Buy the kiddos and partner Citypasses and send them on your way as you sit in meetings. You might want to tack on a few extra days so that you can get out and have some fun too! Rates in July 2016 when we stayed range from rooms that are part of the summer sale at $109 with regular daily rates at $140. There are also multiple package options including ones that include breakfast and American Girl packages.