You know when you walk into a hotel room somewhere and it’s boutique, the furniture is on point, and it just screams adult sexy time but you’ve got your kids with you? That’s what happened to me at Hotel Sorella. And while it was perfectly kid friendly, I also immediately thought “Who can I ditch the kids with next time so that my husband and I can enjoy this room alone?”
Hotel Sorella is located in Houston’s City Centre, a mixed-use upscale development that combines restaurants, bars, retail, and residences. This 266 room residential-style hotel has decor that you would imagine in an upscale loft. The beds perch on dark wood platforms and some quirky seating options are located near the windows. With a rooftop pool and the MonnaLisa bar, you can snag a cabana and lounge all day while drinking hand-crafted martinis. What surprised me the most? I walked into a room that screamed grown up fun but the hotel actually had a lot to offer for kids as well.
WHAT WORKS FOR FAMILIES AT HOTEL SORELLA
- Location. The location of Hotel Sorella within City Centre gives you numerous dining options both in the hotel and within a short walk. It was really relaxing to not have to pack everyone into the car and drive somewhere. My son was a huge fan of the giant pies at Grimaldi’s Pizzeria, and the girls and I took a quick evening stroll to Red Mango to satisfy my pregnancy cravings for a smoothie. If you happen to be there over July 4th like we were, you can see the fireworks out of the windows if you have a Ruggles Green view.
- Pool. The rooftop pool located right across from Radio Milano has lovely covered cabanas where you can relax with a beverage or light bite while your kids swim. The pool is fairly shallow and was the perfect size for my 12, 5, and 4 year old.
- Free breakfast. It is rare for an upscale boutique hotel to offer free breakfast. Hotel Sorella had a nice layout with cereal, yogurt, croissants and giant bowls of fresh fruit. In addition, one of the attendants will make you a complimentary espresso, latte or cappuccino. Craving something hot? They have hot choices as well that are available to order from a pay menu.
- Free WiFi. High-speed internet in every room means that everyone can unwind at the end of the day with a little personal screen time.
WHAT DIDN’T WORK FOR FAMILIES AT HOTEL SORELLA
- As I mentioned above this is a classy hotel. Expect a pang of disappointment when you arrive with kids. I was on this trip by myself with 3 kids and I would have given anything for it to be a solo trip with my husband. The decor is upscale adult, and it is the kind of hotel that you wish you were in for romantic reasons.
- Rooms come standard with a minibar fridge but not a usable fridge. If you are traveling with kiddos make sure you ask for a fridge in advance, and a a very small cube fridge will be placed in your room.
HOTEL SORELLA IN HOUSTON
Hotel Sorella’s registration desk is on the second floor with a large expansive lobby. Plenty of relaxed seating areas offer casual spots to chat with friends. The lobby is also where the complimentary continental breakfast is offered. In the evenings a bar is set up. The lobby attaches to the complimentary parking garage. On the other side of the registration desk is the rooftop pool and Radio Milano and the MonnaLisa bar.
Rooms average around 4oo square feet making them some of the largest rooms in this area of Houston.
If you get hungry, head on over to Radio Milano or the Milano Bar.
Milano Bar is located downstairs near the Hotel Sorella’s valet parking. The bar is beautiful and features both an indoor area and an outdoor patio. The bartender’s run a little on the hipster Portland-esque side which results in some very unique cocktails. There is even an Absinthe Flip. If you can’t dream of which cocktail to try first from their expansive menu the bartenders will be happy to steer you in the right direction. If you get hungry, there are plenty of bar bites to choose from, prepared in the Radio Milano Restaurant kitchen. High marks go to the Juicy Lucy burger and the Monte Christo waffles.
We stayed at Hotel Sorella in July 2016. Rates range from weekend special rates at $159.00 up to $279.00.