Whether you are in the area to shop or enjoy a local family attraction, or you need a hotel while you visit New York City, the Hilton Short Hills offers luxurious modern accommodations great for a parents’ getaway or family staycation.
About the Hilton Short Hills
This past June I had a special treat. In preparation for the TravelingMom Travel & Lifestyle New Jersey event for influencers, I was invited for an overnight stay at the Hilton Short Hills to review it for the TravelingMom site. The Hilton Short Hills is an upscale hotel located conveniently close to the Mall at Short Hills. Guests can enjoy shopping by day or spend the day visiting a nearby family attraction like the Turtleback Zoo. As the day winds down, families can relax in one of two pools the hotel offers guests.
What Works for Families
- I love that the Hilton Short Hills offers an indoor and outdoor pool with times for families to swim together. I know for my own family it’s not a great stay unless there’s a hotel pool to enjoy.
- The spacious bathroom is a bonus for families that need room for multiple children to get ready for the day or bedtime at the same time.
- The in-room table makes it convenient for guests to dine in their room or children to have a space to work and play after a busy day exploring the area.
- The Check In and Check Out times are great for families. Guests can arrive as early as 3 p.m. and get started with enjoying their stay. With a check out time of noon, there’s also no need to get up early and rush to check out.
What Doesn’t Work for Families
- I found the parking garage to be difficult to navigate. Once I entered, it was difficult to find where hotel guests should park and then where to exit. Both upon arrival and while leaving, I drove several laps going on higher and lower levels before I finally figured it out. It can also be difficult once you come in from the parking garage to find your way up to the hotel on the second level.
- I found the restaurants to be overpriced. You’ll see more in my description below. A breakfast for a family of 5 could easily be $100 or more.
- Wifi is not included.
Hilton Short Hills Rooms
During my stay at the Hilton Short Hills, I was treated to a guest room with two queen beds. Watch my video below for your own tour of this Hilton Short Hills guest room. What impressed me most about this Hilton room was the spaciousness of it. From the large bathroom vanity to the ample space around the beds, had I been traveling with my boys I would have had plenty of room for all of us. The rate for this Hilton Short Hills room is listed at $260 a night during the week.
The other nice features of this Hilton room include a rollaway table that comes out from under the desk and a minifridge. Both of these room amenities could help make dining more affordable for families. Simply bring breakfast or lunch foods and store them in your fridge during your stay and eat in your room with the table rolled between the two beds.
Hilton Short Hills Dining
The Hilton Short Hills offers room service as well as two year-round dining options. During my stay, I ate at both The Retreat and The Dining Room. While the food was delicious at both locations, I did not find it to be budget-friendly. My pub hamburger from dinner at the Retreat was about $39 and a glass of orange juice during breakfast at The Dining Room was $8.00. I did not see a children’s menu at either restaurant.
Recipe: Scallop Avocado Toast
There’s every reason to ask for an amazing recipe when you try on in-house, and we did just that. The Chef from our culinary demo prepared Scallop Avocado Toast and it was delicious. Here’s the easy recipe:
- 8 each scallops, 10-20
- 4 2″ x 5″ corn bread planks
- 1 Large Avocado
- 1 Lime
- 1/2 Cup Peach BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 ounce Chive Batons
- 1/2 ounce Picked Parsley
- 1/2 head Shaved Radicchio
- 1/2 ounce Picked Dill
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix chives, parsley, radicchio, and dill in a bowl of iced water until ready to use. One minute before using, add to plate with a paper towel to dry.
- Heat up 2 Tbsp. EVOO in a heavy pan. Add scallops seasoned with salt and pepper. Sear in hot oil for about one minute per side.
- Set scallops aside and let rest.
- Spread butter on both sides of corn bread. Sear in another pan until golden.
- Slightly smash avocado. Season with lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Spread 1/4 of avocado mash on each plank.
- Slice each scallop in 1/3 sections and place two full scallops on each plank on top of avocado.
- Brush sauce on the plate and on top of scallops.
Hilton Short Hills Amenities
The Hilton Short Hills offers the standard amenities you would find at most hotels. What made this hotel stand out was not only that they had a pool, but also that they have an indoor and outdoor pool. There are hours at the pool designated for family time as well as adult-only time. Just take a look at the Hilton Short Hills pool. My only regret from my stay was that I did not have enough time to rest and relax in this beautiful setting.
Outside of the pool, the Hilton Short Hills offers a spa, Eforea Spa, for hotel guests to get some pampering during their stay. You can learn about more Hilton Short Hills amenities at their website at www3.hilton.com.
Fun things to do with your family while staying at the Hilton Short Hills
- Take the kids for a visit to the Turtleback Zoo.
- You can find out about free things to do in New York City in TravelingMom Judy’s Free In New York City – National Park Service Turns 100 blog post.