If you’re looking for an affordable family hotel option in Norway, Citybox Oslo is the perfect choice. Centrally located near public transportation and tourist attractions like the Oslo Opera House, the Oslo Cathedral, and Akershus Fortress and Castle, Citybox Oslo will leave you pleasantly surprised with its private bathroom and family accommodations. And a stay at this family friendly Oslo hotel won’t break your vacation budget in an expensive city.
Kid-Friendly Hotel in Oslo, Norway
Check into the Citybox Oslo to enjoy its modern affordability and European style. Located in Oslo, Norway, this family-friendly hotel is just a 3-minute walk from Oslo Central Station and several tourist destinations like the Oslo Opera House, the Oslo Cathedral, and Akershus Fortress and Castle. If you’re looking for a kid-friendly hotel in Oslo, Norway, and affordable privacy in one of the most expensive cities in the world, Citybox Oslo is a perfect choice.
Welcome to Citybox Oslo
Although minimally staffed with computerized check-in and check-out, the staff at Citybox Oslo are on-hand should you run into a snafu or have questions. The lobby offers the basics such as maps of the area in multiple languages, restrooms, sitting area, and luggage storage.
A common area features a refrigerator, microwave, and vending machines with tables, chairs, and couches plus a TV. Additional lounge areas offer another TV and seating area with a small library to borrow books and a larger area for seating. Citybox Oslo also features conference rooms if you need to rent space for a meeting.
The restaurant is in the same building and serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It also offers Citybox Oslo guests a discount.
What Works For Families
- Citybox Oslo offers family rooms featuring double beds and bunk beds to accommodate larger families. This is something that is harder to come by in many European cities and definitely more difficult at an affordable price at a non-chain hotel.
- Private bathrooms are included and somewhat uncommon in many European cities. Like the family-sized room, this is more difficult to find at an affordable price at a non-chain hotel.
- There is a restaurant on site that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- The rooms are small.
- Wi-Fi is included.
- There are common areas available with seating and TVs and books available to borrow.
- The hotel is right along the train and bus routes and just a few minute walk to the Oslo Central Train station, making accessing the rest of the city very easy.
What Doesn’t Work For Families
- Citybox Oslo has small rooms with minimal storage space, which can be challenging for families with lots of gear and young children.
- Not all rooms have bathtubs (even though the photos in the gallery show bathtubs in the family rooms, ours did not have one).
- Family rooms have bunk beds. If your children aren’t used to bunk beds, that can be a safety concern.
- Windows in the hotel, while they have a safety lock on them, do not have screens or any kind of protection once open. If you have the window open and a family room with a bunk bed, that can be a huge safety concern especially in a room that is above ground level.
- There are no TVs in the rooms.
- There is no pool, so that is something to take into consideration if you have children who like to swim on vacation.
The rooms are what you would expect, but in my opinion, the Citybox Oslo family are a steal for the price especially with a private bath in a European city. The rooms are basic with no frills, but comfortable.
The bathrooms are private and in-room (a bonus for a European hotel) with radiant heat.
Room cost: $63–$221/night (at the time of publishing), depending on the season and room. Power up and log on as Wi-Fi is included.
Amenities at the Citybox Oslo are few but sufficient: free Wi-Fi and generous common areas. Extra roll-away beds can be ordered for NOK 150.
There is a restaurant on site. The Rent Mel offers great food and beverages. The menu items at Rent Mel include coffee, tea, and pastries for breakfast, and the prices are average for breakfast compared to other bakeries and cafes throughout Oslo. The restaurant offers discount breakfast packages to hotel guests and a 10% discount to guests dining at lunch and dinner.