The Holidays are so special and fun. Unfortunately, they also equate with a lot of waste and added stress on the environment and your body. An extra one million tons of trash per week is thrown away between November and December. Also, people are more likely to eat more and gain weight during this time. Here are some quick tips to have a happy and healthy Holiday!
Whether you are traveling or at home for the Holidays, pack healthy snacks like organic cheese, carrots, nuts, and fruits so that you are not tempted when you are holiday shopping. Also, before the Christmas party, fill up on a salad before you go. I always give my daughter some raw vegetables and fruits before we leave because she’s usually hungry and this way I know she has had something nutritious.
When you are baking Christmas cookies, try and use natural food coloring such as beets and parsley juice. If you don’t want to make your own, they can be bought at Whole Foods.
Some more healthy holiday tips:
1. Recycle Christmas cards, ribbons, and boxes or reuse them to make crafts with your children.
2. Reduce wrapping paper use by using paper bags and have your child design it by painting or coloring.
3. Take a reusable bag when shopping
4. Give old toys to charity
5. Buy a Christmas tree potted in soil and replant it after the Holidays!
6. Get exercise by playing in the snow or walking at night to see the lights in your neighborhood
7. MY FAVORITE: Wrap gifts in a traveling map!!