Kentucky is known for being horse country, but there is plenty more for families to do. Take a tour of Louisville, KY’s distilleries (with a free taste) or spend the day with the kids doing kid-friendlier but still free things.
1. American Printing House: The American Printing House for the Blind is the world’s largest nonprofit organization creating educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are visually impaired. Tours are at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Monday – Thursday, except holidays.
2. Cathedral of the Assumption: One of the oldest cathedrals in continuous use in America, the cathedral is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Louisville.
3. Yew Dell Gardens: Yew Dell Gardens is the former home, garden, and arboretum of the late commercial nurseryman Theodore Klein. His unique collection of rare garden plants, display gardens, and unique architectural features is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a Preservation Project of the Garden Conservancy. April through November.
4. Jim Beam American Outpost: The famous bourbon-maker’s Tourist Center is housed in a replica of an old tobacco barn, where the free tours provide insight into the centuries-old art of distillery; an authentic and one-of-a-kind moonshine still, believed to be the oldest in America, can be found behind the Outpost. Monday-Saturday 9-4:30, Sunday,1-4.
5. Makers Mark: Feel as though you have stepped back in time. The Samuels family has been making whiskey since 1840. It’s the oldest continuously operating distillery that is a National Historic Landmark. Tours Monday-Saturday year-round 10:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Sunday 1:30-3:30 p.m. hourly on the half hour. Open holidays except Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas and New Years.
6. Heaven Hill Distilleries Bourbon Heritage Center: Home of the Heaven Hill, Evan Williams, and Elijah Craig bourbons. The largest and one of the few family owned distilleries in the country. Free tours Tuesday – Saturday: 10 a.m.- 5 p.m., Sunday, noon – 4 p.m. (March – December only).
7. Wild Turkey Distillery: Free tours Monday-Saturday at 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.