Pensacola is a beautiful city located in the Florida Panhandle. There are numerous family friendly free activities that allow you to take advantage of the sunny weather. The summer humidity is hot so make sure you carry a bottle of water with you as you explore these five free outdoor activities.
1. Veteran’s Memorial Park – At this park, you will find memorials honoring our many veterans from World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War as well as submarine veterans. When you are finished wandering around the memorials, head over to the large grassy area to run off some energy. The field is perfect for kicking a soccer ball or flying a kite and the view of the water is beautiful.
2. Quietwater Beach – This patch of white sand and quiet water is located on the sound side so you will be able to avoid the rough surf that the Gulf of Mexico can churn out. You can put your beach chair close to the water and the kids can play nearby. Get there early because this area fills up with families quickly.
3. Port City Market – The Port City Market offers a morning of market shopping downtown. Visit the different vendors and support the local produce farmers every Saturday from 9am-1pm. Get there early for the best pick and don’t forget to stop by the locally farmed honey display…it is delicious!
4. Evenings in Olde Seville Square – Every Thursday from May to August, locals flock to Seville Square for an evening full of fun, music, food and dancing. Bring your lawn chair, a picnic dinner, and plenty of water (it is HOT!).
5. Fort Barrancas – This fort was constructed in the 1830s and 1840s to help protect the Pensacola Navy Yard. You can take a guided tour of the fort or you can explore it on your own. Bring flashlights or headlamps so the children will feel like explorers in the dark tunnels. There are some picnic tables near the Visitor Center so you can enjoy a picnic lunch or a snack while you rest from your adventure.
Photo of Fort Barrancas courtesy of DiveMasterKing2000