Located 43 miles south of Salt Lake City, this community of around 120,000 is home to Brigham Young University, an educational institute operated by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a religious community commonly referred to as Mormons. You can find plenty of fun things to do that are free in Utah.
The terrain of Provo is mountainous, but conducive to outdoor activities such as hiking and fishing. Winters are fairly mild, but summer temps reach the mid 90s early in the season. Notable residents include Stephen R. Covey, author of 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, and the famous Osmond family.
With the exception of the Orem Summerfest, any of the following free activities are available year round.
1. Brigham Young University Earth Science Museum This museum showcases fossils from the Jurassic Period, approximately 210-140 million years ago. Another 100 tons of plaster-covered bones are stored underneath BYU’s football stadium. Open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
2. Springville Museum of Art Utah’s oldest museum for the visual arts, this is the pride and joy of Utah’s “Art City.” The Spanish Moroccan style building contains more than 1,900 pieces of art from Utah, Russia and America. A variety of exhibitions, concerts, programs, and special events are offered throughout the year. Open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday and 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Wednesday.
3. Daughters of Utah Provo Pioneer Museum Furnished in the traditional fashion of pioneer days, this museum features the original cabins from the second Fort Utah. Collections of western art and artifacts from early Utah are also on display. Open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. during the summer.
4. Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum Features life like exhibits and houses an extensive collection of mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, insects, plants, shells, and eggs. Located on the BYU Campus in Provo – open 10 a.m.- 9 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday.
5. Orem SummerFest An annual celebration of Orem City and its community. Craft fair, entertainment, carnival rides, grand parade and fireworks. City Center Park, 300 E. Center St., Orem.