The Smithsonian Institution’s annual free museum day, Museum Day Live!, returns on Saturday, September 26th. Museums around the country let you download a ticket, good for free admission for two people.
Go Rogue: Explore Non-Mainstream Museums
But this is also the chance to explore lesser known institutions, such as the Jell-O Gallery in Leroy, NY, the National Watch and Clock Museum in Columbia, PA or the International Museum of Surgical Science in Chicago. There are hundreds of choices, so revisit a favorite place, or find a new one.
You can only receive one ticket per household, so you need to plan carefully. New this year – instead of printing out tickets, many of the museums are allowing you to show the free tickets on your smartphone.
The Smithsonian Institution’s 19 museums, including the National Zoological Park, are always free, as are some of the museums that just want to jump on the Museum Day Live! bandwagon. Some museums have their free day on Sunday, September 27.
The free tickets are for general admission only, and exclude parking or special ticketed exhibits.
Some of the Other Recommended Museums
- The Museum of Arts and Design and The Rubin Museum of Art, both in New York City
- The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art, in Amherst, MA
- The Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame, in Knoxville, TN
- Children’s Hands on Museum of Tuscaloosa, in Tuscaloosa, AL
- San Diego Air and Space Museum, in San Diego