Connecticut is known for its tony suburbs and high priced real estate, but that doesn’t mean that visitors have to spend a ton to have fun here. These are five family friendly activities in Norwalk that you can enjoy for free.
Free in Connecticut
Norwalk, in Fairfield County, Connecticut has worthy family friendly attractions like the The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk and Stepping Stones Museum for Children. But you don’t have to spend any money on these 5 free things to do.
1. The Silvermine Heritage Area — This neighborhood is home to beautiful trails that historically have attracted artists, cartoonists and inventors to the area. Visiting can be an all-day affair. The Silvermine art gallery contains works from the area as well as a sculpture garden. In winter, Santa Claus appears at the Silvermine Tavern with his antique fire truck; hot chocolate and marshmallows are provided to visitors.
2. Devon’s Place at Mathews Park – This handicapped-accessible playground is epic in its size and variety, from standard monkey bar equipment, musical instruments and models of a lighthouse and boat to climb aboard.
3. SONO Switch Tower – Great for train enthusiasts and lovers of Thomas the Tank Engine, the Switch Tower museum offers an authentic look into early 20th century train conductors. The switchboard has levers to pull, an authentic train bell to ring and great views of the downtown Norwalk area.
4. Concerts at Calf’s Pasture Beach — Free outdoor concerts. Hear all genres of music, from disco dance hall to down home blues. There is a nearby dog park and skateboarding park for early arrivals. Fridays includes cartoon movies and other family friendly films starting at 7 p.m. with people in costume. Stew’s Grill is a good burger joint at the beach for cheap eats, operated by Stew Leonards.
5. SONO Arts Festival — In August, the annual Arts Festival comes to Norwalk, with live bands, free Norwalk museum admission, puppets, and a children’s craft table staffed by volunteering artists. The festival is in the center of town and is a fun way to spend an afternoon.