A road trip with toddlers can be exhausting for parents and children alike. Endless hours of distractions in the form of games, toys, and books will help, but what they usually want comes in the form of snacks. To keep children happy and healthy on the go it’s important to have plenty of snacks on hand to keep them well fed, which helps keep the tantrums at bay. Here we share the best road trip snacks for toddlers to make your next road trip easier.
Traveling Mom may receive a small commission for items you purchase through our links. Thanks for your support.
25 Best Road Trip Snacks for Toddlers
Toddlers can be the perfect travelers, or terrible travelers, but bringing along snacks they love will go a long way. Finding snacks that fit their little fingers, taste delicious, are mostly healthy, and don’t make a big mess isn’t as easy as it sounds, but these best road trip snacks for toddlers fit the bill.
- Frozen squeezable yogurt tubes. When they aren’t frozen, they can get messy, but freeze them and you have a great snack on the go.
- Dry cereal. Choose your toddler’s favorite cereal and take it on the road.
- Waffles. Pop them in the toaster before you head out the door and pack them along.
- Tortilla roll ups. Take small flour tortillas, spread them with nut butter, seed butter, or cream cheese and jelly for a fun and healthy snack.
- Granola bars. We like Kind granola bars because they come in all shapes and sizes. Breakfast bars, healthy grains bars, you name it, kids love them all. Adults like them too, so it’s a win-win for everyone.
- String cheese
- Mini muffins
- Squeezable applesauce: GoGo Squeez is also great for planes as it’s TSA-approved.
- Mini bagels. Spread them with cream cheese or nut/seed butter or Nutella.
- Raisins. Or other dried fruit
- Trail mix. Make your own with dry cereal, chocolate chips, coconut, raisins, and almonds or a variety of different dried fruits and nuts.
- Cut up veggies. Choose colorful carrots, red peppers, snap peas, cucumbers and celery cut into easy-to-eat sticks.
- Pirate’s Booty. One of our faves.
- Fresh fruit. Clementines (bring hand wipes for sticky hands and car seats), strawberries, apples, and blueberries work well
- Hard boiled eggs. Be sure to bring something to keep them cold until you’re ready to eat them and peel them before you leave to cut down on the mess in the car.
- Animal crackers
- Graham crackers
- Fruit leather
- Fruit snacks
- Hummus. Don’t forget the naan crisps
- Goldfish. Or other cheese crackers
- Fig Newtons
- Deli meat. Roll or cut it up for easier snacking.
- Rice cakes
Choosing the right snack for a family on the go is never easy, but hopefully these ideas will help on your next journey. We think we’ve found the best road trip snacks for toddlers and think you will agree, anything that keeps them happy make mom and dad happy too!
Looking for more road trip tips? We like: 13 Tested Road Trip Hacks to Ease Your Mind and The Best Car Tech for Road Trip Safety, and don’t miss the ultimate road trip from Michigan to Florida in the F150, because that’s how you do a road trip!