The ultimate in cocktail nibbles, these nuts will beat anything that you’ll find in the supermarket. Make a big batch before you travel (or watch the big game) and store it in a tightly sealed plastic container — when it’s time, you’ll have something to snack on that requires nothing more than setting out a bowl.
Sweet and Spicy Nuts Recipe
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 7 cups mixed nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, almonds, pistachios and hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a small saucepan heat the oil, cayenne, and cumin until just warm.
- In a medium to large bowl, mix the nuts and the spicy oil, tossing until the nuts are evenly coated.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and salt. Add it to the nuts and toss to mix well.
- Lay the nuts out evenly on a baking sheet and bake them for 18 to 20 minutes until golden brown, stirring them once or twice.
- Remove the nuts from the oven and allow them to cool to room temperature. Store the nuts in a resealable plastic bag or a plastic container with a tight lid; the nuts will keep for 2 to 3 weeks.