The ultimate in cocktail nibbles, these nuts will beat anything that you’ll find in the supermarket. Make a big batch before you travel (or watch the big game) and store it in a tightly sealed plastic container — when it’s time, you’ll have something to snack on that requires nothing more than setting out a bowl.
Sweet and Spicy Nuts Recipe
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 7 cups mixed nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, almonds, pistachios and hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a small saucepan heat the oil, cayenne, and cumin until just warm.
- In a medium to large bowl, mix the nuts and the spicy oil, tossing until the nuts are evenly coated.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and salt. Add it to the nuts and toss to mix well.
- Lay the nuts out evenly on a baking sheet and bake them for 18 to 20 minutes until golden brown, stirring them once or twice.
- Remove the nuts from the oven and allow them to cool to room temperature. Store the nuts in a resealable plastic bag or a plastic container with a tight lid; the nuts will keep for 2 to 3 weeks.
Join our NEW Facebook Community: Making Travel Easier. We promise to always tell you what we would tell our best friend -- what works for kids, what doesn’t and what you need to know before you go to have the Best. Family. Vacation. Ever. Our group of travel experts are ready to answer your travel questions!