Butternut Squash and Pear Soup
Recipe Type: Soup
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium-size carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 1⁄4 pounds assorted fall squash, such as butternut, acorn, and Hubbard,
- peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 pears, cored and cut into large dice
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- When the butter begins to bubble, add the carrots, celery, and onions.
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until softened without browning.
- Add the squash and pears and stir to mix with the vegetables.
- Add the stock and cinnamon and bring to a boil over medium high
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until the squash is tender when poked with a fork.
- Transfer the soup, in batches, to a blender and process until
- smooth, or blend with an immersion blender.
- Return the puréed soup to the pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Reheat, if necessary,and serve hot.