New York has a reputation as an expensive city. But, while rents are high, entertainment is cheap. In fact, it is often free, particularly in summer, when free outdoor concerts are the rage. The Live at the Archway Series in DUMBO, a covered outdoor space in Brooklyn, is a summer long performance series on Thursdays at 6pm through September 29th.
Do you love live music? Head to DUMBO, for a new Thursday evening performance series
As summer in New York City heats up, the second annual Live at the Archway Series in DUMBO offers a cool way to enjoy your evening. The performance series, held under the Manhattan Bridge Archway in Brooklyn (DUMBO stands for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) on Thursdays at 6 p.m., offers a wide range of music, from Latin to classic rock, jazz, and world music. There are also dance performances and dance classes as well as puppetry. And everything is free.
Unlike other outdoor concert venues around the city, this one is covered, so you can enjoy the music without the sun beating down on you. The fun starts at 6 p.m. and in summer, sunset is much later.
After the performances, DJs offer more music. If you are feeling peckish, food is for sale (along with drinks).
Get in on the act
New this year on four evenings is free dance instruction sessions. The half-hour classes begin at 6 p.m., followed by an hour of social dancing. Sessions include swing dance classes on July 21 and August 11, and a tango class on August 25.
Just for kids
DUMBO-based award-winning theater collective Great Small Works brings its puppetry entertainment July 28 and September 22, and Ask a Puppet July 14, August 11 and September 8.
The rest of the series:
- July 14: Janka Nabay and the Bubu Gang plus Ask a Puppet and DJ Pablo77
- July 21: Blue Vipers of Brooklyn plus Swing Dance Class with Pablo Pasta Lanna followed by DJ Pablo77
- July 28: Tigue plus Great Small Works and DJ Pablo77
- August 4: Madame T and the Star Lights plus DJ Eugene Tamborine
- August 11: Harlem Swing Dance Society plus Swing Dance Class, Music By the JNote Quintet featuring Stephanie Jeannot, and Ask a Puppet
- August 18: M.A.K.U. Soundsystem plus DJ Eugene Tamborine
- August 25: Milonga with Adam and Ciko plus Tango Dance Class
- September 1: White Wave Dance / Oniin Dance Company
- September 8: Bellatonic plus Ask a Puppet
- September 15: Brown Rice Family
- September 22: Ava Luna plus Great Small Works
- September 29: VJ Farkas (Glowing Bulbs)