A vacation where you don’t have to worry about anything other than relaxing and having fun is the gold standard for my family these days. That means not having to carry anything on me like key cards and money, no strategizing on which meal to have and whether or not it will be a good meal at all, which activities give me the most bang for the buck and what extras will cost me. My husband and I recently discovered a fabulous Gourmet All-Inclusive, Generations Riviera Maya Resort in Riviera Maya, Mexico and we’re in love.
Ironically, my husband decided to plan a vacation sans children at a completely family oriented resort, the Generations Riviera Maya Resort in Riviera Maya, Mexico. This was my husband’s first foray into vacation planning and while it was a family oriented resort, there were plenty of opportunities for the parents to carve out a little romantic time if they wanted.
- All of the suites overlook the pools and the beachfront.
- Some of the rooms have swim out infinity pools.
- We love the rain shower and very handy hand-held shower head.
- The two person Jacuzzi tub is wonderful for you and your spouse and even for all the kids to soak.
- Included is a FREE fully stocked and daily re-stocked mini-fridge with water, sodas, juice and snacks.
We stayed in a studio suite which was railroad style. As you enter, there is the bathroom. To your right is a living room space with table for dining and a couch that can double as an additional bed. Further to your right are two full size beds which open out into your private patio and entrance to the swim out infinity pool.
Activities & Amenities
- Fitness classes – Yoga on the beach is amazing! There is advanced registration and additional fees for equipment based classes like spinning
- Eko Kids Club – A gorgeous play area supervised by trained staff with a movie area, craft station, library and gaming consoles for kids ages 4-12.
- Cooking Classes – From making guacamole to wine tasting to making paella.
- Private Cabanas on the beach for all
- Non-motorized water activities are free
This is a gourmet all-inclusive and the food does not disappoint! In addition to their already mouth-watering menu, they are willing to make anything your heart desires. Be prepared to go home a little heavier.
- They have their own organic greenhouse where they grow all of the fruits and vegetables.
- All the meats are sourced from organic, free-range animal farms.
- All-inclusive means room service is available free of charge. There is a small menu selection on the TV, but you can order anything you like off menu. I ordered a green drink to be delivered every morning after my run after I discovered nothing was open until 8 a.m.
- While it is gourmet, you won’t find a rib-eye steak, prime rib or porter house on the menu. That said, their flank steaks and any meats they have available are amazing. Note, you can order multiple of the same dishes if your heart desires. This is an all-inclusive, so essentially, it’s all you can eat.
- Not that we’re pigs, but after one dinner, we still craved another meal and just popped on over to another site for another sit down meal. Totally OK.
- Try the shrimp tacos and steak at the pool bar.
- Definitely make a visit to the Wine Bar, Santa Fe Grill and D’Italia. They are a must! They have so many types of restaurants from Mediterranean to Asian Fusion.
- As they’ll basically make anything you like, they are pretty allergy-friendly. We asked extensively to see if this would be the right resort for our boys to come back to and they assured use they take food allergies very seriously and have certain procedures in place to ensure a safe and wonderful vacation for all. We even asked if chicken fingers and fries could be requested every day and they said YES!
- You also have a fully stocked fridge in your room, filled with water, sodas, juices and beer.
What We Loved
Staying at Generations or any of the adjoining Karisma properties gives you access to all the amenities and restaurants which as an all-inclusive includes an impressive selection of water activities like kayaking, full gym and classes, and spas.
- Lots of nightly entertainment to choose from at each resort. We loved the hip hop dance show, aquatic show (think Cirque du Soleil) and the fire show.
- Babysitting – For $25/hour (as of 3/29/16), they will watch your children if you want a little romantic time with your spouse. Might we suggest…
- Private Candlelight dinner on the beach. They really go out of their way to create the scene. From sprinkled rose petals on the pathway leading up to your private table, to your own private waiter to bring your your personally selected meal, every detail is covered.
- Hydro Therapy in Naay Spa is free with any treatment so bring your bathing suit with you. If you forget, they do let you come back the next day and use the facilities. I did wish there was a little more instruction on how to effectively use the Hydro Therapy, but as we played around with it, and it all felt amazing!
- The Bike Tour is for someone more fit. We got a chance to see all the Karisma properties and even some backstage areas. The turtle farm and sink hole were pretty cool. We tried to spot the resident crocs but they were hiding. I definitely recommend you start your vacation with this so you get the lay of the land.
- There are shuttles throughout the resorts to take you any where you like. They come every 10-15 minutes and have signs that tell you when the next one is expected. We opted many times to walk off our big meals though.
Things to Consider
- Tipping is NOT included as part of the all-inclusive. So bring a huge wad of dollar bills (or 5’s if you’re ballin’) as you’ll find yourself doling out bills left and right to everyone, from the person who insists on setting up your lounge chair, to the server who brings you your drinks. Tipping at meals and various activities is customary and expected.
- An odd thing struck us, at this resort that aims to be a 5-star resort, no pepper or salt mills. It’s a small touch but really does elevate the experience, we thought.
- There is a dress code in every restaurant except the pool bar. This means no muscle shirts for men, and a covering over women’s swim suit.
- We noticed maybe only one signature dessert if at all at each of the restaurants but the selection otherwise is shared among all the restaurants across all their properties.
- Some of the more popular restaurants fill up fast, making reservations is a good idea.
- Wifi is FREE, but a little spotty. They do have a tech staff that will come to your room and set up all your computers and laptop if you run into any difficulties. We found it works better on iPhones than Android. Many social media apps do not work on their wifi. ie. instagram or swarm.
- Many of the restaurants and beachfront bars including the health bar don’t open up until 8 a.m. They wouldn’t even give me a bottle of water when I went for my morning run at 7 a.m. as they were setting up for the day.
- Expect them to insist on an appointment with their sales office. They sell membership packages which provide discounts for future visits.
Room prices vary depending on the season but deals can be found where children stay free and rooms are as little as $350 a night. For a family of four, that makes it less than $90 a day per person including accommodations, activities, food and drinks!
All in all, my husband and I loved it so much, we bought a membership package and can’t wait to take our family in August! Making it even more fun, we’re bringing friends! Stay tuned for our take of a visit to Generations Riviera Maya as members!