Looking for a family friendly hotel for your next vacation? The Omni Colonnade, San Antonio is just the place to let the kids have fun, while mom and dad relax. You might even get to sleep with the fishes if you book the family-friendly Aquatica Suite! The Omni Colonnade provides themed rooms for the kids, relaxing spaces for the adults, two pools and movies pool-side on the weekends. It’s a short distance to downtown and close to the medical centers.
What Works for Families
- Kid themed suites with a space for the kids (including Wii and Playstation) and a space for the parents.
- Great morning breakfast buffet (must pay) that satisfied all members of our family.
- Indoor and outdoor pools and movies pool-side on Fridays and Saturdays
- Short drive to downtown.
- Room for 5th family member on pull out couch in the parents’ room.
- Milk and cookie “tuck-in” for the kids on the first night.
- Omni Sensational Kids program which includes a kids bag with goodies given upon check-in.
- The buffet is a bit pricey, especially with a family of five.
- The daily cleaning service time changed daily, even though we requested specific times due to the kids. This was addressed and resolved once we brought it to their attention.
The hotel is set right off freeway access, which made getting around to various attractions in San Antonio quite easy. In addition, there were many restaurants near the property, as well as shopping down the road. There is ample parking for the hotel, even during convention times.
The two pools, one indoor and one outdoor, allowed for plenty of space for many to enjoy. The indoor pool especially became helpful during the many rainy days we encountered. Next to the indoor pool is a well-equipped fitness center and a by-appointment mini spa. The lobby features a bar, an ample sitting area with big screen TVs, a gift shop, a restaurant and meeting rooms.
Check-in went very smoothly and the lobby area was immediately pleasing to the eye. The details found in the restaurant, such as tumble weed and a giant horse sculpture, added viewing interest and kept with the theme of Texas. Each area was clean and well maintained.
We stayed in the Aquatica Suite, which featured two twin beds, two TV screens for movies, Wii and Playstation gaming, an aquarium and plenty of toys and books to play with. The beds and sheets were wonderfully themed for the room, as well as the floor cushions shaped like sting rays. The connecting adult room featured a lounge area with a sofa bed couch and TV, a decent sized bathroom with lovely soft towels, and a queen sized bed in the main area. The room was very quiet and the blackout curtains were very welcome.
We loved having the option of using the indoor or outdoor pool, depending on the weather Providing pool-side movies on Friday and Saturday nights was also a bonus! Towels were provided at the pool and returned at the pool (which made for a bit of a chilly walk back to the room). The morning breakfast buffet, in the lobby Bolo’s restaurant, provided many options for the entire family. The kids enjoyed pancakes, eggs any way, yogurt and fresh fruit options. The staff was very friendly and made sure the kids stayed topped up on orange juice and chocolate milk. Attached to Bolo’s is a quick bite option called Morsel’s, for breakfast and snacks on the go.
Overall, I’d recommend the Omni Colonnade, San Antonio for families looking to stay in the San Antonio area, especially if you can book the Aquatica Suite.