The Royal Gorge Bridge is one of the world’s highest suspension bridges, hanging 956 feet high and spanning a quarter mile across the canyon, and one of the top destinations for family travel in Colorado. Just taking in this awe-inspiring man-made suspension bridge and the canyon below is one of the most awe-inspiring sights you’ll ever see, especially when experiencing it while flying high in the world’s scariest ride, the Royal Rush Skycoaster®.
For some visitors, walking across the Royal Gorge Bridge, suspended above the Arkansas River and 1,000 foot granite cliffs, is enough to get their adrenaline racing.
For others, it’s the need for speed and height that pushes them across the Royal Gorge Bridge and dare to ride the Royal Rush SkyCoaster. That’s what this Traveling Grandmom is all about — always traveling to find that next great adrenaline rush!
When you step up to the platform, you’re rewarded with an amazing view of the Royal Gorge Bridge, 1,270 feet long, 18 feet wide, towering 150 feet high. Then you look down and –gulp!– see just how far of a plunge 1,300 feet actually is to the bottom where the Arkansas River’s white water rapids dare even the most experienced rafters.
My friend Bonnie was already regretting her decision to be my partner as we were harnessed to the contraption that slowly pulls us up, up, up the tower – was it 10 stories or more? Worse, we’re in charge of our destiny as Bonnie releases the pull cord that drops us for 2-3 seconds before we reach speeds of up 50 mph (Video to be posted soon!). My heart was racing as we swung over the gorge, suspended above the magnificent Arkansas River and the granite cliffs! It was one of the most amazing adventures I’ve experienced, and yes, I’d do it again, although my friend Bonnie isn’t as willing for a repeat!
You don’t have to be a thrill-seeker to find your adventure at the Royal Gorge Bridge & Park. It’s a 360-acre destination that merges Mother Nature with adventure, and unlike any destination you’ll ever experience.
Your Royal Gorge journey includes 21 rides, shows and attractions to explore, and here are a few highlights:
- Gawk at the Royal Gorge Bridge and the spectacular views. Walk or drive across the world’s highest suspension bridge. Photo opportunity on the bridge in front of your state flag.
- Ride the Aerial Tram 2,200 feet across the Arkansas River, located 1,178 feet below.
- Sit back and enjoy the Magic of Christian Augustine
- Get the kiddos on the antique replica Carousel, with 30 animals, 2 chariots and more than 2,200 lights.
- Ride the Incline Railway, one of the world’s steepest incline railways
- Visit the Wapiti Western Wildlife Park, 10-acre park home to native Colorado animals, including Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, American Bison, and Rocky Mountain Elk.
- Trail rides into Royal Gorge County with Watt Mule Company Trail Rides.
- Get high at the *NEW* Royal Gorge Zipline Tours or the soaring Royal Rush Skycoaster!
Take your adventure to the Arkansas River below:
- Ride the rails and all aboard the Royal Gorge Route Railroad, for classic train ride or gourment dinner.
- River raft the white waters of the Arkansas
One of Colorado’s most popular destination attractions, the Royal Gorge Bridge & Park is located 45 minutes south of Colorado Springs and 2 hours south of Denver in Canon City, one of the oldest tourist destinations in the West. Whether you make it a day-trip, weekend getaway, or a family vacation, the Royal Gorge Bridge & Park won’t disappoint you!
Photos © Diana Rowe and Courtesy of Experience Colorado