Romantic travel doesn’t always have to be about going to some luxury resort with tons of add-ons including a candlelight dinner at the beach. Most of the time, romantic moments happen when you choose a destination away from the large cities and enormous resorts. This tale of a recent romantic getaway to Sebring, Florida is the perfect example of that.
Sebring, Florida is known to locals as “The City on the Circle.” That is due to its unique design. Actually, it started out as a commercial strategy to bring everyone in the town to the central part of it, where all of the stores were. So Circle Drive, located right at the center of the Historic District, is the hub from which all of the streets from the town branch out.
This is one of those smaller towns in Florida that tends to get overlooked by most travelers. Most of them are looking for the theme parks in Orlando or the beaches of Miami.
What Made Us Choose Sebring, Florida for a romantic Getaway
As often is the case, my family and I were visiting my parents in Florida and, as we always do, my husband and I took a chance to leave our sons with their grandparents for a weekend to go out on a short romantic getaway.
This time, we were looking for a place where we could enjoy outdoor adventures and nature. I was also looking for a place we hadn’t been to before. That’s how I found Sebring.
Aside from the obvious small town feel and relaxed ambiance, there were many reasons why I picked Sebring. We only ended up doing two out of the activities I mention below, but we definitely want to go back to do more exploring.
My Bucket List for Sebring, Florida
If you’re like my husband and me, you find romance in the great outdoors. We love to share outdoor activities, and find they bring out the romantic side. Some of the fun – and romantic – offerings in Sebring, Florida, include:
1. Fishing tours – You won’t believe the number of small lakes that are located around Sebring. There are more than 100 of them. Most of them boast a healthy population of fish that you can go and catch. Some say this is South Central Florida’s best location for both recreational and tournament fishing. There are many companies offering fishing tours in the area.
2. Airboat Tours – Aside from tons of tiny lakes, there are also many small streams connecting them. This creates a wave of waterways that can be used to explore the region via water boats. This is one of the two activities we managed to do. During these tours, you get to jump on a small boat (ours could accommodate only 6 passengers) and enjoy the surroundings while searching for animals in the water and hiding among plants.
3. Highlands Hammock State Park – This is one of Florida’s oldest parks. But what is most important is that it is home to 15 distinct natural communities covering more than 9,000 acres of land. Some of the most popular activities in the park are cycling a three-mile loop, hiking one of the nine trails, having a picnic, bird-watching, and paying to go on a ranger-guided tour.
4. Sebring International Raceway – This is one of the oldest operating racetracks in the country. So, as you can imagine, the raceway is a must-visit landmark of Sebring. Check out their calendar to see if there is some race happening on the days you will be there.
5. Avon Park Depot Museum and Restaurant – You will find this museum in the historic 1926 railroad depot. Visit it if you are interested in seeing photos, artifacts, articles, and records that will show you all of the history of Avon Park. Visitors can also enjoy a dining experience in an authentic dining car, but remember, this can only be done by appointment.
6. Enjoy the Beaches of Lake Jackson – This was the second activity my husband and I had enough time to experience during our short romantic getaway. The area of the public beach is a gorgeous place with picnic tables, a play area, and restrooms. The place is perfect for enjoying the weather and water while still staying comfortable.
Where to Stay in Sebring, Florida
One of the best parts of Sebring is that it isn’t one of those extremely developed places with manufactured luxury all around. In this town, you still get to experience a warm small community feeling. That is all awesome until you realize all you can find here for sleeping options are motels. That doesn’t exactly say romantic weekend to me.
Luckily, lately I have developed a taste for vacation rentals, so I went to Airbnb to see if they had anything cute and comfortable in Sebring. They had something, a great place right next to the lake.
It was everything I was looking for, a centric small home where I could reach stores and restaurants on foot. Nothing seemed to be more than 20 minutes away.
The living room was great, with some of the most comfy couches I have ever sat on. They even had a mechanism in them to give massages. I took full advantage of that while chilling in front of the TV.
And Jim, the owner, was great to work with. He was super helpful, funny and attentive.
In short, even if you are like me and have extremely limited time, I would highly recommend to come to this cozy town.