After trying beignets, there was no turning back. Those powdered-sugar coated fried delicacies became the food of choice for my kids. We found ourselves eating them literally for breakfast, lunch and sometimes dinner. We did this for at least four out of the seven days we were in New Orleans. I must have gained around five pounds of beignet goodness.
All of this eating was being done at Cafe Du Monde.
This famous restaurant became our second home for us.
Why Cafe Du Monde New Orleans Is the Place To Be
I am not lying when I say that we spent almost as much time here as we did at our hotel. Right after we discovered the place we started going two to three times per day. It’s located right off of Jackson Square where the coolest street performers and artists display their talents. That is also one of the reasons why we loved going there.
But the part I loved the most was their menu. It is really basic with things like: beignets, cafe au lait, orange juice, hot white and chocolate milk and that’s it! Why can’t every restaurant be this easy?
I was also surprised about the price. Everything is so cheap! They charged me $2.49 for three beignets, which is enough to feed a child and still have some leftovers for mama. Who can beat a price like that?
I would have been the happiest mama in the world if only beignets weren’t so fattening. Unfortunately they don’t classify as healthy food, but they are super while traveling.
Did You Know Cafe Du Monde is Full of History Too?
• The Original Cafe Du Monde Coffee was a stand
• It was established in 1862 in the New Orleans French Market.
• This place is only closed on Christmas day. You can visit it any time of the day or night, every day of the week.
• The Original Cafe Du Monde consists of dark roasted coffee and chicory, beignets, white and chocolate milk, and fresh squeezed orange juice.
• The coffee is served black or au lait (French for with milk).
• In 1988 iced coffee was introduced to the cafe.
• In 1985 a second Cafe Du Monde was opened by the Fernandez Family in a suburban shopping mall, The Esplanade Mall.
• In 1986 a third Cafe Du Monde was opened in the Rouse Co.’s Riverwalk Marketplace.
• Now there are a total of eight Cafe Du Monde Coffee Stands in the Metropolitan area of New Orleans.