TradeWinds Island Resorts in St. Petersburg, Florida provides families and this single mom, the perfect blend of fun in the sun, exhilarating activities, numerous resort amenities, a wonderful children’s program, yummy selection of restaurants and best of all, a relaxing holiday.
There is so much to do in and love about St. Petersburg, which my daughter and I were happy to discover on your vacation to the beach side town. My favorite feature of TradeWinds Island Resort is the location. The resort sits directly on the beach facing the Gulf of Mexico. With it’s beautiful and meticulously clean beach, my daughter and I had a fantastic time just hanging on the beach in our two person cabana and frolicking in the clear, smooth waved and brilliant waters of the Gulf of Mexico.
From our two-room suite facing the Gulf of Mexico, it was truly a delight to wake up every morning, see the gulf and enjoy my coffee from the balcony.
TradeWinds Island Resorts is located just 30 short minutes from the Tampa International Airport and is a property unto itself in which you could just stay on property for an entire week, relaxing by the seven swimming pools, partaking in the activities both on and off the beach and enjoying the 15 restaurants and lounges.
Here are my top 10 reasons for staying at the TradeWinds Island Resorts:
- Resort Amenity Fee – My daughter and I loved taking the paddle boat out around the moat surrounding the resort. It is so much fun taking a break and paddling around but be forewarned, it’s not as easy as it looks. In addition, I just loved being able to relax in a covered cabana. The hassle free resort amenity inclusive fee allows guests unlimited use of the two person cabanas, paddleboats, fitness center, mini-golf course, tennis courts wireless internet, daily newspaper, in-room safe, self-parking, business center services, local and credit card access, portions of children’s programs. As one knows, most resorts charge you for cabanas, internet service and fitness center a la carte so it’s nice to have all those amenities in a $25 a day fee.
2. Water Sports Activities – For the sports enthusiasts, there are banana boats, parasailing, snorkeling, shelling and dolphin cruises that can be booked
3. KONK (Kids Only, No Kidding) Children’s Program – As a single mom, it’s great that the resort offers a supervised activities program that is sure to keep the kids busy and entertained and give every parent much needed alone. I signed up my daughter for the Marine Bio-Camp. They headed to Shell Island in search of shells and dolphins. She collected tons of shells and saw a school of dolphins. She hasn’t stopped talking about with all her friends. There are also programs that take place in the evening for parents who want to have romantic, quiet dinner or for me just a relaxing walk on the beach watching the sun set over the Gulf of Mexico.
Travel Tip: Check the KONK calendar when you arrive and plan your kid’s activities accordingly as you need to register in advance for each program.
4. Kitchenette – Every room, no matter the size comes equipped with a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, stovetop and dishware. How incredible is that? Most hotels have just a coffee maker but there is no fridge to keep milk and no place for drinks. I get up early so being able to have cereal or toast and a big cup of coffee before my daughter gets up is such a godsend.
Travel Tip: There is a Publix supermarket just down the street for you to stock up on snacks, drinks, breakfast and dinner fixins, if you so choose. And if you only need a few things, there is a deli in the lobby and a 7-Eleven within walking distance to buy milk, water or drinks.
5. Dining and Food Options – I did not rent a car so I was limited to the resort restaurants which was fine. There are tons of choices from Pizza Hut to Palm Court Italian Grill to Bermuda’s Steak and Seafood (where kids eat free, yes free) to Flying Bridge and others. There are 15 restaurant and lounges so you will most definitely not go hungry. Room service is also available.
6. Splash Island Water Park – This 15, 750 square foot water park sits in the Gulf of Mexico just 60 feet off the beach was one of my daughter’s favorite activities. There are 11 fun-filled activities from slides to trampolines. Yes, trampolines in the water.
This was one activity that I had a lot of questions about because the photos and descriptions were clear but not knowing the beach, I just couldn’t tell from the photos how deep the water was or far it was from the beach or if it was safe for an 8 year old.
I need not have worried, every kid has to wear a life jacket and there are certified lifeguards stationed throughout the park. 60 feet sounds far but the water is not that deep and parents can watch from the shore. That was my fear that I was going to have to go out to the park to watch my daughter but there was no need. This activity is definitely for kids who are unafraid of the ocean and comfortable being out in the water by themselves. I would recommend it for kids 8 and up who have are pretty good swimmers.
Travel Tip: Reserve your hour first thing in the day and go earlier rather than later. Two days in a row, they closed the park at 3 pm due to high winds.
Cost: One hour session is $25 with a $9 discount for guests that pay with their room key.
7. The RedBeard Pirate Show – Yes, a real pirate, RedBeard visits TradeWinds “Pirate Island” each week spinning tall tales and conducts a sing along. My daughter loved his stories and his entire “pirate” outfit and he has a parrot. What more could you ask for?
8. Three Story High Tide Inflatable Slide on the Beach – The high tide slide takes the bouncy house to another level. Your kids will love it.
9. Proximity to Tampa –St.Petersburg Attractions – Don’t miss out on visiting the Dali Museum with the largest collection of Salvador Dali’s works outside of Spain, the Dale Chihuly’s collection of framed glassworks, Great Explorations Children’s museum, trolley tour of downtown St. Pete, and the scenic waterfront parks.
10. Body Works Salon and Spa – Take a moment while the kids are at KONK and enjoy some time to yourself to get massage or just a mani pedi. There are more than 40 a la carte services as well as half day Beach Treat or full day Just Let Go package.
This was one of the best vacations that my daughter and I had and would recommend the resort to families looking for a change from the east side of Florida. And food for thought, if you are planning an Orlando Universal Studios or Disney World trip, TradeWinds Island Resorts is only two hours away from Orlando so it’s a perfect combination of busy and relaxing holiday vacation.
Reservations and information: Toll Free 866-587-8538 or visit TradeWindsResort.com or www.JustLetGo.com.
Tip: Once you have done your online research, call the toll free number and ask if there are any special travel package for the time period you are interested.
NYC Traveling Single Mom is also the Founder/Editor of nycsinglemom.com.