There are numerous places to ski on Mt. Hood, the massive mountain near Portland, Oregon. I have not had the pleasure of skiing all of them, but I have skied Summit with all three kids. Our kids are beginner skiers despite having lived in the Pacific Northwest for years. About the time they were getting the hang of it we moved to Florida and then to Nevada. We never went skiing during those assignments. We’ve been back in Oregon for a little over a month now and have taken the kids up the mountain a few times.
Right now Summit is my favorite place to ski on the mountain. I think it’s the most kid friendly place to ski. There is only one lift and all the runs are green. I appreciate the fact that kids five and under ski for free with a paying adult.
- It is cheap! It might just be the cheapest place to ski on the mountain.
- It’s conveniently located in Government Camp.
- They have a ski school.
- All the runs are greens.
- The runs are flatter making it easier for beginners.
- There is only one lift, so you are going to ski the same runs all day long.
- It’s a walk through the parking lot to get to the public restrooms.
- No daycare.
- All the ski runs are greens.
Summit ski area is located a little over an hour from Portland, Oregon. You simply take highway 26 until you get to Government Camp. You will see it on the left side of the highway. The also have a tubing hill.