West isn’t necessarily best when it comes to skiing. Avoid the expense, crowds and the long lift lines of Vail or Vermont and check out these reasons to ski New Hampshire. The White Mountains area iss especially good if you’re traveling with young kids.
Here are 10 reasons why you should visit Jackson or North Conway in the White Mountains of New Hampshire for your next winter getaway:
- New Hampshire receives an annual average of 80 inches of fresh snow every year.
- These two quintessential Mount Washington Valley villages are charming and laid back, providing a throwback to simpler family-ski trips when you were younger.
- Less crowds and shorter ski lift lines.
- Black Mountain in Jackson, New Hampshire, is a hidden gem, great for little ones learning how to ski with a friendly ski-school and day care center.
- Dogsledding excursions, horse-drawn sleigh rides, snowmobiling, maple sugaring—in New Hampshire, downhill skiing is far from the only outdoor winter pursuit.
- The Jackson Ski Touring center offers 45 kilometers of trails specifically for snowshoeing and great for all ages. This year Snowshoe Magazine rated Jackson #1 for snowshoe-friendly Nordic Center. The nonprofit organization also maintains 150 km of trails of the finest cross-country ski trails in the Eastern United States and offers rentals and lessons as well.
Enjoy tax-free shopping during your visit to New Hampshire and receiver further discounts at Settlers Green Outlets Village in North Conway.
- When you’re not enjoying the outdoors, your kids can visit the Mount Washington Valley Children’s Museum in North Conway, which serves children from birth to 7 years old!
- There is an indoor water park and complimentary hot breakfast at Hampton Inn & Suites in North Conway or enjoy family movie nights, s’mores bonfires and yummy hot cocoa in the morning with a porch view at Eagle Mountain House in Jackson just miles away from four different mountains.
- Dine at the most family-friendly restaurant that I’ve ever been to – The Red Fox Bar and Grille. The extremely large restaurant includes a special Kid’s Room, which has toys, games and a little movie theater playing family films. And a bonus: the food is amazing too.
Have you skied East and West? Which do you think is better? Why?
Join our NEW Facebook Community: Making Travel Easier. We promise to always tell you what we would tell our best friend -- what works for kids, what doesn’t and what you need to know before you go to have the Best. Family. Vacation. Ever. Our group of travel experts are ready to answer your travel questions!
Looking for more fun winter ideas in New Hamphsire? Check out the beautiful ice castles also in the White mountains of New Hampshire and these 8 FREE things to do.