Twenty years ago, living in London, I enjoyed the hop-on-hop-off double decker tours. At that time, you couldn’t find them anywhere else in the world. Today, every major city seems to have incorporated these a version of it into their touristic attractions–and they are a huge hit.
Since it was so much fun back then, I decided to see if these kind of tours where available in Boston for our upcoming trip. Double Deckers were a no go, but instead I found something that fits into their culture better–trolley tours.
I found over six different companies!
With so many options, how do you pick the right Boston Hop-On-Hop-Off tour? Actually, it’s quite simple: go with the one that offers the most for the least amount of money! Of course, it still needs to have good reviews.
I chose Boston Super Tours, a relatively new company that I found offers the most for your money.
Why This Trolley Tour in Boston Was the Ultimate Sightseeing Tours in Boston:
What they Offer – Super Tours offers a huge amount of things to do with an All-In-One Price.
You also get the chance to chose between a one- or two-day package; I advise you to choose the two day package. Boston has so much to see that one day will be really rushing it.
Trolley routes – You get two different routes. The first one is for Boston itself and the other one will take you to Cambridge and covers Harvard and MIT. You can take as much time as you want whenever you hop off because trolleys pass through each stop every 15 minutes, making it easy for you to hop back on.
Since we were staying in Cambridge and ended up not taking that route. But we did almost all of the Boston one.
Bonus tours included in the package:
Super Duck Harbor Splash Tour – This is an amphibious tour that on its own would have cost over $40 per person. It rained the day that we were supposed to take it so we continued on land instead.
You can also choose one of these five tours:
1. Harvard Museum of Natural History
2. Old South Meeting House Tour
3. MIT Museum
4. Institute of Contemporary Art (Boston ICA)
5. Charles River Boat Cruise
We chose the Charles River Boat Cruise – It is a great tour to do if you are traveling with kids. Plus it was really exciting for my kids to go on a boat tour after missing the duck tour.
Information for the Boston Super Tours
1. When Does it Start – The trolleys start passing through the designated stops at 9 am. So, figure out where the closest location for Super Tour is, after you get your tickets, and pick up the tour wherever you are.
2. Schedules for Duck Tours and Bonus Tours – To find out about the best schedule, you can simply inquire when you are buying your tickets.
3. How to Buy Tickets – For me the best way of purchasing the tickets is online. They send them to you so you can print them and it’s all so much easier. I like it because when you arrive you don’t have to worry about anything else. But tons of people purchase them on the spot, so it’s up to you.
4. Contact – Emails are great, but when it comes to having my questions answered I like to hear a live person. They were truly helpful about telling me the best itinerary for my family.
100 Terminal Street
Charlestown, MA 02129
5. Prices – Premium Value Ticket
Adult – $39.05
Senior – $35.24
Children 3 -11 – $20.00
Deciding which company to go with is an overwhelming process, and I haven’t experienced the other hop on hop off trolley tours, however this one was just what we needed. I can’t imagine the other ones being much better. But, after a lot of research, I do know that none of the other companies offer as much as you get with Boston Super Tours.