Even with deals, upgrades and frequent flier miles, a ski vacation can still cost a small fortune. Sometimes when you arrive at the mountain and see the cost of an alpine education, home-ski/snowboard-schooling seems like a pretty good option. However, ski/snowboard-school is worth every penny you pay!
I understand that signing your kids up for ski or snowboard school is another major expense on your already expensive vacation and just teaching the kids yourself seems like a much better option. I’ve been there. And I was wrong. Here are five reasons why your kids should go to ski school.
1. Things Change Over Time: Chances are you don’t know the latest ski education techniques. You could tell your kids to make a wedge or “Turn! Turn! I said turn!” until the cows come home, but you may not actually be communicating with them. These complicated concepts are best left to the experts.
2. Kids aren’t Only ones on Vacation: While you are on a family vacation, you are also on your vacation. You wipe noses and ease fears every day. You will wipe noses and ease fears during the mornings and evenings of your ski vacation. By taking a few hours for yourself, it will help make your vacation rejuvenating for everyone.
3. Meets Everyone’s Needs: Especially if you have younger children or newer skiers and snowboarders, there is a good chance that they won’t be able to keep up with you. Yes, ski school is expensive. Spending the day on the bunny hill, digging your offspring out of a snow bank is equally expensive.
4. Ski Skills for Future Trips: It truly is an investment. You are investing in their future as skiers and snowboarders. They will improve quickly and that will make your time on the mountain together all the more enjoyable.
5. Parents can Let Loose: There’s nothing in the world like dropping the kids off, going to the top of the mountain, and blasting past a sign like this one pictured right!
And why do you have the ability, the tenacity, and the sheer guts to zip past that sign? I’m willing to bet it’s because someone sent you to ski school.
What do you think about sending your kids to snowboard or ski school? Do you think it is worth the money? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments!