Heading off to Stowe for Christmas? Chances are you’ll spend a lot of time on the slopes (or in the lodge with hot cocoa if you’re like me). If you feel like venturing out of the resort here is a list of kid-friendly activities going on in the area Christmas week.
1. Watch candy canes being made at Laughing Moon Chocolates in Stowe. Wednesday and Friday at 11am families can observe the candy cane making process. For $6 you can participate and make your own cane. Pre-registration is required for participants. No registration necessary to observe.
2. Skate with Santa. Come on down to the Jackson Arena in Stowe on Wednesday December 21st and skate with Santa and his elves from 5:30-7p. Admission is $4/youth $5/adults plus a nonperishable food item.
3. Attend a local Winter Solstice Celebration. Montpelier’s Waldorf School, Orchard Valley Waldorf, put on a night of song & dance celebrating the winter season. 6p-8p. Free. Event will take place at Montpelier High School.
4. Take in a concert. The Stowe Community Church celebrates their 20th year performing Handel’s Messiah. Concert begins at 7pm on Thursday, December 22nd. $8/donation per person. Kids under 18 are free.
5. Visit the Ski Museum. Located in downtown Stowe, the Ski Museum holds more than 10,000 items chronicling winter sports in Vermont. Open daily 12p-5p. The museum is traditionally closed on Tuesdays but will be open on December 27th.
Nasreen Stump is a freelance writer who lives with her family in Vermont. Follow her on Twitter @ramblingstump .