Tweens and teens can be a hard bunch to please on vacation but organizations like Historic Philadelphia work to keep alive the diverse range of activities that appeal to all ages throughout the area.
I have two teen daughters and we love living close to Philadelphia where there is such a rich variety of activities and experiences. After moving here over 20 years ago myself, I still hear of new things to see and do.
Here are ten ways you can entertain a tween or teen in Philadelphia and sneak in a little history in the same trip.
1. Enjoy Franklin Square’s unique Philly Mini Golf year around, and during the Fall, enjoy a special Spooky Mini-Golf decorated for the holidays. Putt-putt through a faux Liberty Bell or around a mini-Art Museum. Each hole holds its own special touch of Philadelphia.
2. Ride the Philadelphia Park Liberty Carousel featuring horses painted to resemble the very horses that once speed down Race Street, the paved surface now covering the track which once ran along the edge of where the park stands. Ride on racehorse heroes Afleet Alex or Smarty Jones or perhaps on the wings of a very large eagle.
3. Bite into a burger and down a shake at legendary restauranteur Stephen Starr’s renowned SquareBurger also in Franklin Square.
4. Tour the Betsy Ross home and learn about her exciting life and times through interactive, historical programming.
5. Take advantage of a variety of seasonal events happening throughout the year – including Historic Chocolate Making and Pumpkinfest.
6. Enjoy the Lights of Liberty Outdoor Nighttime Show which uses modern technology to give the whole family a unique tour of the past or enjoy the Liberty 360 3-D Show in the Peco Theater nearby.
7. Stop and listen to Once Upon a Time story tellers placed around the historic district sharing bits of history and folklore.
8. Tour the National Constitution Center for an interactive look into America’s past.
9. Take a Philadelphia Bike Tour of old and new Philadelphia to experience the city from a new perspective. Bikes can be brought directly to your hotel for riding enjoyment or meet a tour guide who can talk you through a number of special sites.
10. Visit one of many more amazing destinations: art museum, zoo, local parks, Italian Market, theaters and much more.
We LOVE our Philly city! Come join us and experience rich history come to life.
Photo credit for all photos: Sarah Peppel / Media TravelingMom