Family friendly Holiday Inn Express Cleveland is located in the heart of downtown. Housed in a 19th century former bank building, the hotel has unique characteristics and features one wouldn’t expect in a standard hotel including 13 foot ceilings and oversized rooms. With its location in the Financial District, its an easy walk to restaurants, museums, sports arenas, and shopping. Families looking for a hotel with friendly staff, comfortable rooms, and a central location will be pleased with the accommodations they find at the Holiday Inn Express in Downtown Cleveland.
Holiday Inn Express Cleveland
From the moment we arrived at the Holiday Inn Express in downtown Cleveland, I knew we had found something special. We were warmly welcomed by the front desk staff as we admired the architecture of the old bank building. My husband had visited Cleveland before, and knew we had found a hotel in the perfect location. We were walking distance to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, all major sporting venues (Indians, Cavaliers, Browns), the Great Lakes Science Center, and more restaurants than I could visit in a month. The rooms were clean, spacious, and comfortable and the staff was friendly and welcoming. Some of the bonus amenities included a game room, evening snacks and cocktails, as well as complimentary breakfast. Holiday Inn Express had everything families could want and more.
What Works for Families
- The location is fabulous. Right in the middle of downtown and walking distance to many attractions.
- There are many quality food options nearby. There are sit down and carry out restaurants, diners, cafés, and grocery stores. It makes it easy to find something to fit everyone’s tastes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Speaking of food, the hotel offers complimentary breakfast. Not your typical danishes and coffee, but a full spread featuring toast, oatmeal, cereal, cinnamon rolls, make your own pancakes, and fruit. Juice and coffee too.
- On certain weekday evenings the hotel offers a happy hour with drinks and snacks. Each guest receives tickets for two complimentary beverages (kids included). The lounge area is enjoyable for relaxing before heading out for the night.
- The hotel has a video arcade and pool table next to the breakfast/lounge area. This is perfect for entertaining kids if they finish eating before their parents.
- The staff throughout the property was friendly and helpful.
- The rooms were spacious, well appointed, and clean. We had a double queen guest suite with two queen beds and a pull out sleeper sofa. It is almost impossible to find a room that works for a large family, but we were more than comfortable.
- The suite has a kitchenette with a microwave and mini refrigerator so families can cook in their room. Definitely a plus.
What Doesn’t Work for Families
- Room privacy: The living area and the sleeping area in a suite are separated by a wall, but the wall is open affording no privacy. It made it difficult to put the kids to bed in one room and watch television in the other because it would have kept the kids awake.
- No swimming pool. I know, many downtown hotels don’t have pools, but my kids love to swim and they would have loved this hotel more if it had a pool.
Housed in the historic 19th century Guardian Bank Building, built in 1894, the Holiday Inn Express is now one of Cleveland’s most contemporary hotels. Located in Cleveland’s financial district between E. 9th St and E. 6th St on Euclid Ave.The lobby is stunning with its marble floors, brass fixtures, and vaulted ceilings.
The Holiday Inn Express is located a couple of blocks from the pedestrian friendly East 4th Street, which is lined with bars and restaurants of all cuisines. It is walking distance to all of the sporting venues and many major attractions.
The hotel features complimentary breakfast and wi-fi, a 24 hour fitness center, a business center, and the option for valet or self-parking
The hotel is an IHG Green Engage Hotel which means it focuses on being eco-friendly by using smart design, reducing water use, and having bio-friendly cleaning products.
The suite we stayed in had a coffee maker, microwave, and small refrigerator which is very convenient for families. The rooms are well appointed,with flat screen TVs, desks, and good size bathrooms. The showers have great water pressure and there is plenty of counter space around the sink to accommodate toiletries. The beds were very comfortable with plenty of pillows to choose from and blankets for everyone. The 13 foot ceilings really make the room feel spacious.
As I mentioned, Holiday Inn Express has free hot breakfast every morning, which families will love. Our kids enjoyed the make your own pancake machine and watching the flapjacks squeeze out onto their plates. They also enjoyed the complimentary evening snack and beverage hour the night before.
There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. The desk staff was very helpful in recommending local restaurants. There is a Heinen’s grocery store around the corner and a CVS pharmacy across the street. Starbucks is a few blocks away. Everything you could need is easy to reach.
The Holiday Inn Express Cleveland was the perfect choice for our family’s first time exploring the city. It’s not easy finding a hotel that can comfortably accommodate a family of five, and this one easily took care of our group. The next time we visit, it will definitely be the place we stay.