Here’s a surprise for non-Midwesterners: There are several family friendly ski resorts in Michigan. Here’s why you should try Boyne Mountain.
No matter how much time your family can spend at this northern Michigan resort, try to fit in the following activities.
Tips for Maximizing Family Fun at Boyne Mountain
- Give your kids the gift of skiing or snowboarding lessons at the SnowSports Academy, known to be among the best instruction in the Midwest. It’s never too soon to start: potty-trained children ages 3 and up are welcome at the kids ski lesson camp or for private lessons.
- Visit the onsite, 88,000 square feet Avalanche Bay Waterpark, the biggest indoor waterpark in Michigan. There are six
waterslides including the super steep ProSlide SuperLOOP which is not for the faint of heart. The facility also has a children’s pool, surf simulator and an arcade, which comes in handy after the kids become waterlogged and need a break. There are also indoor / heated outdoor pools throughout the property where it’s possible to enjoy the scenery while staying warm and cozy immersed in a pool or hot tub.
- While the kids are perfecting their technique on the slopes, sneak off to the Solace Spa for a hot ginger cocoa body treatment, an Asian-inspired bamboo massage or a Pevonian caviar facial, an anti-aging treatment that uses actual caviar extract (no eating it please!).
- Partake in more outdoor adventures such as tubing, groomer rides or a zip line tour. Feel like snuggling instead?
Then embark on a horse-drawn sleigh ride that is offered gratis to all guests.
- Engage in some après-ski (even if you skip the skiing part!). The Eagles Nest is a ski-in / ski-out atop the mountain with a toasty fire while Everett’s Restaurant and Lounge offers steaks, seafood and a healthy kids’ menu. Have room for dessert? Kilwin’s dishes out hand-dipped ice cream in warm waffle cones, fudge and gigantic caramel apples.
- If you ‘re lucky enough to visit over the holidays, kids can check in with Santa on where they stand on the nice and naughty list, enjoy the beautifully lit Village Tree and sing carols by the campfire.
Some facts about skiing at Boyne Mountain: 60 downhill runs; home to the nation’s first six-person high speed chair; 415 acres of skiable acres; 10 chairlifts and two surface lifts; plenty of slopes for all levels of skiers from beginner to expert; the longest run is one mile.
Boyne Mountain has an array of accommodations including hotel rooms, villas, suites, condos and cabins. For more information visit Boyne Mountain.
This post was written by Linda Marsicano.