Hundreds of cyclists gather yearly to make their way to the flat land of East Prairie, MO to the annual Tour de Corn. At first, I was a bit hesitant to register my family for such a huge event, especially with my kiddos being small and my family not being the most experienced cyclist on the road. In 2011, our family completed our first bike tour, and a 3o mile section of the Tour de Corn ride.
Things to Know about participating in a group bike ride with kids
- Group bike rides are designed for cyclist of all levels, the East Prairie Tour de Corn has 4 level a 15, 30, 65, or 100. It is important to know your level; our family cycles quite often and has completed several trails, so last year I selected the 30-mile ride.
- Go prepared, last year we packed our son in a tag a long trailer surrounded by books, toys, snacks, and lots of water.
- Breaks are important, the Tour de Corn provides several stops that offer Corn of course, and other snacks, but remember those young cyclist need more breaks than most.
- This is a RIDE not a race, you are only out for a pleasure ride, accidents do happen, but take your time no need to rush.
- Helmets are required for all riders, even if they are in a buggy.
This year’s Tour de Corn is Saturday, June 23, 2012 registration is open on line, and there are special prices for family registration. The ride winds you through the beautiful croplands of Southeast Missouri, along the way you will enjoy mouthwatering sweet corn, cookies, and maybe even fresh watermelon.
East Prairie is a small community with limited lodging facilities, so if you plan to travel to the Tour de Corn ride you may need to check with nearby town Sikeston, MO for lodging. Along with the annual ride East Prairie will have their Annual Main Street Party on June 22 5:30 – 9:30 pm.
Have an Adventurous Day!
Becky is the Missouri Traveling Mom, her blog site is Adventures Among Us. She not only shares a unique passion for traveling with her family, but traveling in Missouri. For more of Becky’s adventures find her on facebook Adventures Among Us, or follow her on Twitter @BeckyAdventure.