Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
- Exploring Avengers Campus Disneyland Resort
- Changes to Expect at the Disneyland Resort
- How to See Avengers Campus Right Now
- WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure
- Can I Ride WEB SLINGERS if I Don't Get Into the Virtual Queue?
- Guardians of the Galaxy - MISSION: Breakout!
- Pym Test Kitchen Quick Service Dining
- Additional Dining and Snacks in Avengers Campus Disneyland
- Mobile Ordering is a MUST
- Character Sightings
- What Else Can Kids Do in Avengers Campus Disneyland?
- Avengers Campus Shopping and Merchandise
- What's to Come at Avengers Campus
Avengers Campus Disneyland is open! These insider tips on how to get the most out of a trip to this new land, found only at the Disneyland resort. Learn the importance of mobile ordering and how to secure your place in the virtual queue for a successful day.
The writer was hosted at a media preview of the Avengers Campus Disneyland.
Exploring Avengers Campus Disneyland Resort
The new Avengers Campus opened on June 4, 2021, in the former “a bug’s land” space. This new land with a Marvel twist has a fun back story: Iron Man (Tony Stark) developed Avengers Campus as a place for regular folks to train alongside super heroes.
As a result, Avengers Campus is an ultra immersive experience. This is reflected in everything from the rides to the character experiences.
Expect a visit to Avengers Campus to include heroic encounters with Captain America and Black Widow. Spot the Quinjet on the rooftop of Avengers headquarters, where epic live battles take place. By the end, chances are you’ll feel like a super hero yourself!
Changes to Expect at the Disneyland Resort
After being closed for more than a year during the pandemic, the Disneyland theme parks in Anaheim have reopened. Just as at Walt Disney World in Orlando, reopening these popular amusement parks has come with big changes.
All Disneyland tickets must be purchased ahead of your trip through online sales only. TravelingMom recommends Get Away Today for discounted multi-day tickets.
A theme park reservation must also be made in advance of your visit, via the Disneyland website. Please read through the additional Disneyland reopening changes before your vacation.
How to See Avengers Campus Right Now
There are currently two ways to get access to Avengers Campus within the Disney California Adventure theme park. The first is to book virtual queue ride access to WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure. (More on that in a minute.)
The second way to see Avengers Campus is to wait in the stand-by line across from Golden Vines Winery. Waiting in that line allows you to enter the land for dining or shopping, and to ride the Guardians of the Galaxy. It does NOT allow you to ride WEB SLINGERS. The only way to do that is via a reservation in the virtual queue.
Expect to wait a looooooong time in that stand-by line.
And one more thing: You can mobile order food before you enter Avengers Campus but you still need to wait in the stand-by line to enter the land. Only people with a virtual queue pass for WEB SLINGERS can enter the land without waiting in line.
As park capacity increases I’d expect to see the stand-by line lifted, allowing more guests to enter this area.
But for now, plan on waiting to get in if you don’t have a WEB SLINGERS virtual queue pass.
WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure
This is Disney, so every attraction has a story. The WEB SLINGERS story is this: Worldwide Engineering Brigade (aka: WEB) is having an open house to showcase its newest inventions. Unfortunately, Peter Parker’s Spider-Bots are going haywire and threaten to take down Avengers Campus.
That’s where you come in! This fun 3D ride turns riders into super heroes. This interactive ride, similar to Toy Story: Midway Mania, lets riders spin and throw webs just like Spider-Man, thanks to some innovative technology.
Guests simply move their hands and see their “webs” destroy Spider-Bots on the screens. Points are tracked and there are ways to score bonuses. My kids loved WEB SLINGERS of course, though they lamented that it was too short of a ride!
TravelingMom Tip: There is no height requirement for WEB SLINGERS, which means everyone in the family can join the fun. Families will sit four to a row within each ride vehicle. The ride does have a single rider line, though it’s currently not available.
How to Get on WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure Ride
Access to WEB SLINGERS is only available through a virtual queue. This is the same system used for Rise of the Resistance at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. There is no stand-by queue available for WEB SLINGERS, so if you haven’t booked a boarding group via the app, you can’t ride.
How the Virtual Queue Works
- Download the Disneyland app to your smart phone.
- Boarding group windows open each morning at 7 am and again at noon.
- The 7 am virtual queue is available only to people who have a valid park ticket with a Disney California Adventure starting park reservation. The noon queue is available to anyone who has a park hopper or DCA ticket that has been scanned into a park that day.
- Only one spot in the virtual queue can be held at a time, so you have to choose between WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure and Rise of the Resistance.
When it’s time for your boarding group to ride, you’ll receive a notice in the Disneyland app, so check frequently. Go straight to the main entrance of Avengers Campus. Look for the “Virtual Queue” return line sign and enter through here. You’ll need to show your credentials to enter.
Can I Ride WEB SLINGERS if I Don’t Get Into the Virtual Queue?
Sorry, but no. The only way to ride the newest Disneyland attraction is via the virtual queue in the Disneyland app. But you can still shop, dine, character watch and experience Guardians of the Galaxy. That’s what the stand-by line is for.
Just note that on opening day, the line for this stand-by stretched to Paradise Gardens and back – an hours-long wait! If you don’t have the virtual queue pass and need to wait in stand-by, consider watching the line throughout the day. Many have noted that the line is much shorter after nightfall.
Guardians of the Galaxy – MISSION: Breakout!
Formerly located in Hollywood Land, Guardians of the Galaxy – MISSION: Breakout! has joined the rest of the gang at Avengers Campus. This thrill ride features unexpected drops and a variety of rock songs that change each time you ride.
Now that Guardians of the Galaxy has moved, you’ll need to wait in the stand-by line for entry to Avengers Campus to be able to ride. The good news is that Guardians of the Galaxy does not require a virtual queue. You can wait in a regular line for this attraction.
Traveling Mom Tip: Guardians of the Galaxy has a 40-inch height requirement. But this is still a terrifying attraction, especially for those who do not enjoy steep drops. If younger kids (or the less daring in your group) want to skip, use the Rider Swap service.
Pym Test Kitchen Quick Service Dining
Ant-Man and The Wasp have used pym particles to create foods that are both over-sized and tiny. It’s a whimsical touch that’s an awesome addition to Avengers Campus.
This Disneyland quick service restaurant will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. While there may be some walk-up dining available at Pym Test Kitchen, it’s best to rely on mobile ordering (more on this, keep reading).
Dining at Pym Test Kitchen is an Avengers Campus attraction on its own. In addition to the quirky food, there’s lots of whimsy in the restaurant itself that kids will love. Highlights on the menu and in the dining area:
- In the ordering area, look up at the large and small pretzels changing size, thanks to “pym particles.”
- Ever-Expanding Cinna-Pym Toast, served for breakfast.
- Pym-ini is a panini sandwich with marinara dipping sauce. Brought a big group? Consider ordering the $99.99 Family Sized Pym-ini, sized to feed 8 people!
- Impossible “meatballs” that are plant-based in both large and mini sizes.
- Quantum Pretzel, an enormous pretzel that’s enlarged by a quantum tunnel (of course!) and comes with sides of mustard and beer cheese dipping sauce.
- Pingo Doce, a bright green carbonated drink of Avengers lore, found in the Coke Freestyle machines. The flavor is a delicious not-too-sweet lemon-lime with vanilla. Look overhead at the giant soda cans that feed into the dispensers!
- Not so Little Chicken Sandwich, served with teriyaki and red chili sauces and cabbage slaw with a teeny-tiny bun. My “particular eater” was able to order his meal with everything on the side.
Additional Dining and Snacks in Avengers Campus Disneyland
Pym Tasting Lab (mobile ordering available) – Located adjacent to Pym Test Kitchen and offers alcoholic beverages and beer cocktails. Watch the reverse draft system fill glasses from the bottom up!
Shawarma Palace (walk up ordering only) – Two food cart locations, one near WEB SLINGERS entrance, the second closer to Guardians of the Galaxy. Features Mediterranean-style wraps including an Impossible meat-less variety.
Terran Treats (walk up ordering only) – Snack cart located near Guardians of the Galaxy. Offers 2 dessert options including a Sweet Spiral Ration (pineapple flavored spiral churro) and Cosmic Cream Orb (crisp cream puff with purple whipped raspberry cheesecake center).
Mobile Ordering is a MUST
More than ever before, mobile ordering via the Disneyland app is a must. For anyone wanting to indulge on dining within Avengers Campus, I highly recommend ordering first thing in the morning. The app may request that guests wait until in the land before ordering.
TravelingMom Tip: Plan out meal times and peruse menus ahead of the trip. As you wait in line to enter the park in the morning, place all of the snack and meal orders for the day through mobile ordering. The app will send a push notification to your phone when the mobile order pick up window opens. Then simply press, “Prepare my order” when you’re at the restaurant and ready to pick up!
It wouldn’t be a Disney theme park without character meet ‘n greets. And while socially distanced greetings are the current norm, Avengers Campus does a great job of allowing guests to see their favorite super heroes from Marvel comic books and popular movies.
Some of the Avengers Campus character appearances and live entertainment have specific show times. Find them daily in the Disneyland app. Here’s what to expect when it comes to character interactions:
- Watch for Spider-Man as he swings from rooftops and chats with guests. There’s an animatronic version that’s next level!
- Thor and Black Widow were spotted at the top of Avengers Headquarters.
- Ant-Man and Iron Man posed with guests at the base of the same building.
- Try your hand at the mystic arts alongside Doctor Strange in the Ancient Sanctum.
- Black Panther, The Wasp and Captain America chat and stop for photos next to an Avengers vehicle.
- It’s not all “good guys.” There are a few villains as well. Loki is expected to appear as well as Taskmaster, who battles it out on the rooftop of Avengers Headquarters.
What Else Can Kids Do in Avengers Campus Disneyland?
Yes, Disneyland’s Avengers Campus is for Marvel super fans. And little kids love Spider-Man, so the WEB SLINGERS attraction is ideal. The ride was definitely my kids’ favorite part of exploring Avengers Campus!
What else is there for kids inside Avengers Campus?
- Train alongside General Okoye and the Dora Milaje. The Black Panther’s bodyguards expound upon the wisdom from Wakanda.
- Play on the Disney Parks app, an interactive game that incorporates different areas around the Disneyland parks. My 9 year old loves competing against me on the movie trivia!
- Join Star-Lord and Gamora for a music-filled guest interaction at the Guardians of the Galaxy: Ultimate Dance Off!
- Buy a WEB tech souvenir. It’s a plus-up to WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure. Use the tech on the ride then play it with as a toy once back at home.
- Indulge in a kid-friendly non-alcoholic beverage at Pym Test Kitchen. The Proton PB&J Punch combines lemonade with peanut butter and strawberry flavors with a whipped cream and pretzel topping. Or tackle the behemoth Choco-Smash CANDY BAR, a layered dessert of dark chocolate, nuts, caramel, nougat and brownie!
Traveling Mom Tip: Always bring a portable phone charger to Disneyland. Between mobile ordering, taking photos, accessing the virtual queue and playing the games, you’ll need to recharge your device. You won’t want to miss the notification that it’s time for your family to board WEB SLINGERS!
Avengers Campus Shopping and Merchandise
Naturally this themed land includes plenty of opportunity for shopping. These are the shops and locations, with details on what each provides.
Web Suppliers (located across from the WEB SLINGERS ride) – Purchase WEB Tech accessories to enhance ride play on WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure. Costs range between $24.99-$29.99. It can be used on the attraction and kids can play with it later as a toy. Web Suppliers also sells Spider-Bots toys in a variety of sizes and styles to play with at home.
Campus Supply Pod (located next to Pym Test Kitchen) – Outdoor shopping kiosk with a variety of apparel.
The Collector’s Warehouse (inside the exit to Guardians of the Galaxy) – large variety of super hero collectibles, toys, action figures and comic books.
What’s to Come at Avengers Campus
The yet-to-come major attraction will send recruits on a Quinjet flight to Wakanda and beyond. This ride is expected to put guests into action as they fly alongside the Avengers.
Walt Disney Company has yet to announce any details of this upcoming attraction, to be housed inside the Avengers Headquarters building. This article will be updated as information is released.