Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
- What are the Rules for Disneyland Reopening 2021?
- Is Disneyland Open to California Residents Only?
- Will Reservations Be Required?
- More Changes for Disneyland Reopening 2021
- What Is Missing When Disneyland Reopened in 2021?
- Which Disneyland and Disney California Rides Will Be Open?
- Where Can I See Disney Characters at Disneyland?
- How Does Shopping Work Now?
- Disneyland Resort Hotel Reopenings
Planning a Disneyland visit in 2021? We went opening weekend (and several times since) and are ready to share what you need to know for both Anaheim California theme parks – Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. Read on to learn all about the change to mask requirements, social distancing rules and what reservations you’ll need in addition to an entry ticket.
Florida’s Walt Disney World reopened in mid-July 2020, armed with a solid safety plan that seems to have worked well for visitors. Disneyland had a phased reopening with the Downtown Disney District opening first. The theme parks, Disneyland and Disney California Adventure, reopened on April 30, 2021.
TravelingMom Tip: Bookmark this post and return, as it will be updated regularly with the latest information on the Disneyland reopening.
Join our NEW Facebook Community: Making Travel Easier. We promise to always tell you what we would tell our best friend -- what works for kids, what doesn’t and what you need to know before you go to have the Best. Family. Vacation. Ever. Our group of travel experts are ready to answer your travel questions!
What are the Rules for Disneyland Reopening 2021?
Travel changed dramatically in 2020 and Disneyland is changing too. Here are some of the ways visiting Disneyland in 2021 is different:
- Park reservation system. Anyone holding a valid park ticket must also make a Disneyland park reservation.
- Advance ticket purchase. Disneyland new ticket sales are open.
- Park Hopping. Available daily after 1 pm for those holding Park Hopper passes.
- Face coverings are required for non-vaccinated guests. See next section for additional details.
Are Masks Required at Disneyland?
Masks are no longer required for any guests while outdoors at Disney parks. Disneyland’s reopening guidelines stress that all non-vaccinated guests 2 years and up must wear face coverings while indoors. This includes all public locations on property and in the parks.
Proof of vaccination is not required. Neither is a negative Covid-19 test. Guests are expected to self-attest that they are vaccinated in order to go mask-less in the Disneyland theme parks.
Beginning July 30, face coverings are required for all guests (ages 2 and up) while indoors, including on many attractions and in enclosed transportation vehicles, regardless of vaccination status.
Read More: Oogie Boogie Bash 2021
When are Masks Not Required at Disneyland?
Here are the people and occasions when masks are NOT required within the Disneyland parks:
- Children under age 2, including babies and 1-year-olds
- While outdoors
- While swimming at a Disneyland Resort hotel
What Kind of Face Covering is Required at Disneyland?
Disneyland is also very specific on the type of facial covering that is permitted: no gaiters, costume masks, bandannas or masks with a valve or holes.
Face coverings must consist of 2 or more layers of breathable material that secure with a tie or ear loops. They must fit snugly against the face to completely cover the nose, mouth and chin.
Who Will be Able to Get Disneyland Tickets?
Anyone can now purchase Disneyland tickets, including out of state travelers.
The popular Disneyland Annual Passholder program was “sunsetted.” Passes were refunded to these newly named “Legacy Passholders.” The new Disneyland Magic Key pass debuted in August 2021. Learn more about it here.
Some guests have held on to their unused Disneyland theme park tickets, hoping to use them upon reopening. Tickets that expired during the closure were extended. New Disneyland ticket sales have resumed. The reservation window was recently extended to 120 days out. Guests with a multi-day ticket will be permitted to make multiple, separate reservations.
Where to Buy Disneyland Tickets
Traveling Mom recommends Get Away Today for discounted Disneyland tickets and vacation packages. Book your hotel reservations with Get Away Today now to lock in travel dates. With Disneyland ticket sales now open, Get Away Today can add these to your hotel package.
Get Away Today also offers price monitoring and a complimentary concierge service that’s invaluable to travelers during pandemic times.
After you buy your tickets, someone from Get Away Today will reach out to answer any of your Disneyland vacation questions or help you create and book your itinerary.
Is Disneyland Open to California Residents Only?
Disneyland originally reopened for California residents but is now accepting all visitors.
The State of California is strongly recommending that all visitors be fully vaccinated. However this is not a requirement for attendance at Disneyland, who will not request verification of the vaccine for entry.
Will Reservations Be Required?
Yes, Disneyland requires a day reservation attached to each ticket.
When Walt Disney World reopened in July 2020, it began using a new reservation system called Disney Park Pass. Disneyland implemented a similar structure to limit capacity at the parks and stay within state guidelines.
Both an advance park reservation and valid ticketed admission for the same park on the same date are required for anyone age 3 and up. Park Hopping between Disneyland and Disney California Adventure park is allowed beginning at 1 pm each day.
More Changes for Disneyland Reopening 2021
Similar to the Disney World changes for 2021, these are the modifications that guests will see at Disneyland reopening 2021:
- Limited capacity of guests allowed inside parks, to encourage physical distancing.
- Limited park hours upon reopening.
- No Magic Morning or Extra Magic Hour.
- No FASTPASS and Disney MaxPass reservations at either Disneyland park.
- Touchless transactions. Disneyland is encouraging guests to use debit, credit and gift cards rather than cash for purchases and to use mobile ordering for quick service meals. You’ll be able to use gift cards to pay via the Disneyland app under a change to the system.
- Changes at some dining locations. Buffets and Disney character dining experiences are not currently offered.
- Virtual ride queues for Rise of the Resistance at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure in Avengers Campus. Guests must secure their ride reservation via mobile device.
- No single rider queues.
What Is Missing When Disneyland Reopened in 2021?
Certain attractions are missing during the Disneyland reopening 2021. Here’s what’s currently missing as Disneyland has reopened:
- Attractions that generally draw large crowds. This includes parades, performances, live indoor shows, fireworks and nighttime spectaculars (namely Fantasmic! and World of Color).
- Children’s play areas, including those in Mickey’s Toontown like Goofy’s Playhouse and Mickey’s House.
- High-touch features inside ride queues may be unavailable or temporarily removed.
- Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique make-overs.
- Intimate character meet ‘n greets including autographs and up-close photos ops.
Which Disneyland and Disney California Rides Will Be Open?
Most rides and attractions are open and operating. Be sure to check the Disneyland website calendar before your visit to verify which attractions are available or down for refurbishment.
Where Can I See Disney Characters at Disneyland?
Popular Disney characters are still making appearances in and around the parks. Surprisingly, socially distanced character greetings have been a highlight of the Disneyland reopening.
True, it’s not the same as giving Mickey a hug. But Disney has been very creative with the use of character greetings and unique ways for famous friends to say hello.
The Disneyland app isn’t currently displaying character greets. This means there’s no specific location or times when you’ll spot specific characters.
However, guests can expect to spot Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Pluto near Main Street USA. I saw Anna and Elsa from Frozen at the Carthay Circle fountain and Disney princesses chatting with guests in Fantasy Faire.
What’s NEW at Disneyland 2021?
There is a lot that is new now that Disneyland has reopened. While most of these adjustments are procedural, some are exciting changes everyone should be looking forward to.
During my visit on opening day weekend, the park was brighter than ever, with new paint and bright floral displays!
Snow White’s Enchanted Wish
Disney completely remodeled this Fantasyland attraction during the closure. Replacing Snow White’s Scary Adventures, Snow White’s Enchanted Wish is a new dark ride with a re-imagined look, updated technology and a happier ending.
I was able to ride Snow White’s Enchanted Wish on opening day. The more complete story line, enhanced visuals and sweet details make it a can’t miss. Definitely check the Disneyland app throughout the day of your visit to monitor wait times on this new attraction.
Improved Mobile Ordering
I’m a huge fan of mobile ordering. They’ve expanded the quick-service locations using the app.
New to this program, guests will be able to use a gift card as payment. For Legacy Passholders that had their pass scanned into the Disneyland app, the applicable membership discount will still apply to dining purchases. The discount will apply automatically to your total in app.
Avengers Campus is a new Disney California Adventure land that opened to guests on June 4th, 2021. This highly anticipated Marvel-themed area includes WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure ride, character meet ‘n greet locations and new quick service dining.
How Does Shopping Work Now?
Disneyland souvenir shopping remains a popular part of the travel experience. There are a few changes to be aware of. This includes limited capacity inside some stores. Other smaller shops, like the Silhouette Studio, remain closed at this time.
Currently, lockers inside the theme parks are closed. However lockers in the esplanade between Disneyland and California Adventure ARE open for all guests. This means if you make purchases and want to store them for the day, you’ll need to leave the parks to rent a locker.
Disneyland Resort Hotel Reopenings
Disneyland reopened resort hotels in phases. At this time all are reopened.
- Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa- hotel reopening April 29th, Disney Vacation Club Villas reopening May 2nd
- Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel- reopening June 15th
- Disneyland Hotel- reopening July 2nd
All Disneyland Resort hotels are operating at limited capacity.