Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
- What are the Rules for Disneyland in 2022?
- Park Reservations are Required at Disneyland
- More Changes for Disneyland in 2022
- Disneyland Changes in 2022: What is Still Missing
- Which Disneyland and Disney California Rides Will Be Open?
- Where Can I See Disney Characters at Disneyland?
- How Does Shopping Work Now?
- Disneyland Resort Hotel Reopenings
If you’re planning a Disneyland visit in 2022 you might be wondering what is different. We’ve got you covered. Here’s what you need to know about visiting each of the Anaheim California theme parks in 2022. We’ve got tips for Disneyland and California Adventure plus what is still open and what is closed.
What are the Rules for Disneyland in 2022?
Travel changed dramatically in 2020 and Disneyland is changing too. Here are some of the ways visiting Disneyland in 2022 is different:
- Park reservation system. Anyone holding a valid park ticket must also make a Disneyland park reservation.
- Advance ticket purchase. Disneyland new ticket sales are open and there was a price increase.
- Park Hopping. Available daily after 1 pm for those holding Park Hopper passes.
- Face coverings are required for all guests while indoors and on transportation.
Are Masks Required at Disneyland?
All guests are required to wear face coverings while indoors and while on transportation. This rule is for everyone regardless of vaccinations status.
Read More: Oogie Boogie Bash
When are Masks Not Required at Disneyland?
Here are the people and occasions when masks are NOT required within the Disneyland parks:
- Children under age 2, including babies and 1-year-olds
- While outdoors
- While swimming at a Disneyland Resort hotel
What Kind of Face Covering is Required at Disneyland?
Disneyland is also very specific on the type of facial covering that is permitted: no gaiters, costume masks, bandannas or masks with a valve or holes.
Face coverings must consist of 2 or more layers of breathable material that secure with a tie or ear loops. They must fit snugly against the face to completely cover the nose, mouth and chin.
Disneyland Tickets 2022: Changes and Things to Know
A lot happened in the world of Disneyland tickets in 2021. Disneyland’s Annual Passholder program was discontinued and a new program, Disneyland Magic Key, debuted in August 2021.
Prices increased on all ticket tiers except for Tier 1. A new tier, Tier 6, was added to cover the busiest days of the year.
Join our Private Disney FB Group for more tips! JOIN HERE
Where to Buy Disneyland Tickets
Traveling Mom recommends Get Away Today for discounted Disneyland tickets and vacation packages. Book your hotel reservations with Get Away Today now to lock in travel dates. With Disneyland ticket sales now open, Get Away Today can add these to your hotel package.
Get Away Today also offers price monitoring and a complimentary concierge service that’s invaluable to travelers during pandemic times.
After you buy your tickets, someone from Get Away Today will reach out to answer any of your Disneyland vacation questions or help you create and book your itinerary.
Park Reservations are Required at Disneyland
Just like Walt Disney World park reservations are required. One nice thing about Disneyland is that you can purchase your tickets and make your reservations at the same time! If you already have tickets be sure to reserve your dates ASAP. You can check the calendar for availability.
Join our Private FB Group for more travel inspiration and tips! JOIN HERE
Both an advance park reservation and valid ticketed admission for the same park on the same date are required for anyone age 3 and up. Park Hopping between Disneyland and Disney California Adventure park is allowed beginning at 1 pm each day.
“its a small world” at Disneyland. Photo credit: Julie Bigboy
More Changes for Disneyland in 2022
Similar to the Disney World changes, these are the modifications that guests have seen at Disneyland since the reopening:
- Limited capacity of guests allowed inside parks by utilizing park reservations.
- No Magic Morning or Extra Magic Hour.
- FASTPASS and Disney MaxPass have been replaced with Disney Genie Service.
- Touchless transactions. Disneyland is encouraging guests to use debit, credit and gift cards rather than cash for purchases and to use mobile ordering for quick service meals. You’ll be able to use gift cards to pay via the Disneyland app under a change to the system.
Disneyland Changes in 2022: What is Still Missing
Certain attractions are still missing in 2022. Here’s what’s currently still closed:
- Attractions that generally draw large crowds. This includes parades, performances, live indoor shows, fireworks and nighttime spectaculars (namely Fantasmic! and World of Color).
- Children’s play areas, including those in Mickey’s Toontown like Goofy’s Playhouse and Mickey’s House.
- Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique make-overs.
- Intimate character meet ‘n greets including autographs and up-close photos ops.
Which Disneyland and Disney California Rides Will Be Open?
Most rides and attractions are open and operating. Disney’s Toontown is scheduled to close in March 2022 for a refurbishment. These closures can certainly alter plans for your vacation so be sure to check the Disneyland website calendar before your visit to verify which attractions are available or down for refurbishment.
Where Can I See Disney Characters at Disneyland?
Popular Disney characters are still making appearances in and around the parks. Surprisingly, socially distanced character greetings have been a highlight of the Disneyland reopening.
True, it’s not the same as giving Mickey a hug. But Disney has been very creative with the use of character greetings and unique ways for famous friends to say hello.
The Disneyland app isn’t currently displaying character greets. This means there’s no specific location or times when you’ll spot specific characters.
However, guests can expect to spot Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Pluto near Main Street USA. I saw Anna and Elsa from Frozen at the Carthay Circle fountain and Disney princesses chatting with guests in Fantasy Faire.
What’s NEW at Disneyland 2022?
There is a lot that is new now that Disneyland has reopened. While most of these adjustments are procedural, some are exciting changes everyone should be looking forward to.
During my visit on opening day weekend, the park was brighter than ever, with new paint and bright floral displays!
Snow White’s Enchanted Wish
Disney completely remodeled this Fantasyland attraction during the closure. Replacing Snow White’s Scary Adventures, Snow White’s Enchanted Wish is a new dark ride with a re-imagined look, updated technology and a happier ending.
I was able to ride Snow White’s Enchanted Wish on opening day. The more complete story line, enhanced visuals and sweet details make it a can’t miss. Definitely check the Disneyland app throughout the day of your visit to monitor wait times on this new attraction.
Improved Mobile Ordering at Disneyland
I’m a huge fan of mobile ordering. They’ve expanded the quick-service locations using the app.
New to this program, guests will be able to use a gift card as payment. For Magic Key pass holders that had their pass scanned into the Disneyland app, the applicable membership discount will still apply to dining purchases. The discount will apply automatically to your total in app.
Avengers Campus is a new Disney California Adventure land that opened to guests on June 4th, 2021. This highly anticipated Marvel-themed area includes WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure ride, character meet ‘n greet locations and new quick service dining.
How Does Shopping Work Now?
Disneyland souvenir shopping remains a popular part of the travel experience. There are a few changes to be aware of. This includes limited capacity inside some stores. Other smaller shops, like the Silhouette Studio, remain closed at this time.
Lockers are available in all locations at Disneyland now, making storing your purchases a little bit easier.
Disneyland Resort Hotel Reopenings
Disneyland reopened resort hotels in phases. At this time all are reopened.
- Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa- hotel reopened in April, 2021, Disney Vacation Club Villas reopened in May, 2021
- Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel- reopened in June, 2021
- Disneyland Hotel- reopened in July, 2021
All Disneyland Resort hotels are operating at limited capacity.