What is Disneybounding? Why should Disney fans do it? Many times these questions keep fans from giving this easy, fun activity a try. But it’s a lot simpler than it looks. Disneybounding is a fun way to share your fandom without breaking the bank or wearing a costume all day. Find out the best tips for making Disneybounding part of your Disney theme park wardrobe.
What to Wear at Walt Disney World and Disneyland
Dressing for a Disney Parks vacation is unlike any other vacation experience. Comfort is key, especially in the unpredictable climate of Disney World or Disneyland. When considering what to wear, most vacationers opt for t-shirts that proudly display their love for favorite characters like Mickey or Cinderella.
I encourage you to think outside the t-shirt box and give Disneybounding a try. Never heard of Disneybounding? Afraid it’s too complicated? Keep reading to find out why I think it’s fun and a lot easier than it may seem!
What is Disneybounding?
Disneybounding is the art of putting together Disney character inspired looks from everyday pieces you already own or from pieces that are easily found in basic clothing or thrift stores.
I’ve heard some call it “closet cosplay,” and I think that’s an appropriate term too. No one really knows exactly how the Disneybounding trend began, but most passionate Disney fans will give founding credit to Leslie Kay. Her Instagram account is a popular source for outfit inspiration. Leslie created The Disneybound concept several years ago, and has since written a book about her inspiration, outfit ideas, and the Disneybounding community that grew from her initial idea.
How do you show off your Disney fandom? Most people immediately think of cosplay or “costume play,” which is popular at conventions and fan events. Cosplay is the performance art of wearing costumes and accessories to represent a specific character. According to Disney Parks rules and regulations, however, costumes may not be worn by guests over the age of 14.
But wait, there’s another way!
The perfect solution to the “no costume” rule for teens and adults is Disneybounding. It helps fans over the age of 14 show off their favorite Disney princess or Toy Story character.
Now that you have decided to give Disneybounding a try, narrow down the character you want to represent. Search the internet for inspiration. Many Disney fans and bloggers over the last several years have created their own Disneybounding looks. Inspiration won’t be difficult to find.
Once a character has been decided, it’s time to head to your own closet. My favorite part of Disneybounding is that, often, no extra spending is required! Consider keeping your Disney vacation costs low by using what you have, visiting a local thrift store or browsing Amazon for inexpensive extras to finish off your Disneybound outfit.
Best Tips for Disneybounding
- Don’t take a character literally. Trying too hard to be exact with your look will only lead to frustration and disappointment. Keep it simple. For example, Belle’s main dress color is yellow, so focusing on that color palate will help!
- Do think about accessories. A red belt with a blue top and yellow bottoms could turn into an ode to Snow White. Shoes are another way to enhance your look, but keep in mind all the walking required on a Disney vacation!
- Focus on one particular part of a character to highlight in your look and emphasize that instead of trying to emphasize all of the character’s specifics. For example, Minnie Mouse is famous for her polka dots!
- Choose solid colors to build the foundation of a Disneybound outfit. The fun comes in when you add whimsical accessories to take the look to the next level.
- Do keep in mind the rules put in place by Disney Parks, and don’t dip too far over into costume territory. Special Events, like Boo Bash, are an exception to the costume rule for those over 14.
- Don’t be afraid to DIY! Let your creative side shine while Disneybounding.
FAQs About Disneybounding
If you’re totally new to this idea of Disneybounding, you probably have a lot of questions. These are some of the most frequently asked questions and their answers:
- Where do you get your inspiration? Inspiration comes from everywhere! Specific Disney characters, social media posts and photos, colors in logos or buildings at Disney Parks; you name it, inspiration can be found in it.
- How do you pull an outfit together? As stated a few paragraphs back, I start with a color palette and then head to my closet! I try very hard not to purchase anything extra if I can help it.
- What is an easy Disneybound idea to start with? Any idea can be easy if you pull the items from your closet. My very first Disneybound outfit was inspired by Nemo. I had an orange and white striped shirt and black shorts already in my closet!
- How do you get others to participate with you? Again, Disneybounding is about comfort and current fashion. It’s easy to get kids, spouses, and friends to participate when you can assure them that hot, itchy costumes are not required!
- Are there Disneybounding events? Technically, there are no Disneybound events. However, Leslie Kay hosts monthly challenges on her Instagram account and shares photos of other community members that participate as well as her own ideas. As you can see in photos in this article, my husband and I combined a Dapper Day event with a Disneybound look, but it is not required on Dapper Day.
More Tips and Ideas from Traveling Mom
If my article has piqued your interest, check out these articles for further tips from the TravelingMom family!