My husband and I had one of those rare chances where we get to go on a romantic getaway without the kids. This time I decided it would be good to leave Antigua and look for a hotel in one of the best areas in Guatemala City. That is how I found La Inmaculada, a boutique hotel where their romantic package that gave us much more for our money than we expected.
Living in Antigua, the nearness of Guatemala might sound as the perfect setting for romance. But after you have been there for years, it becomes like every other place. It’s just routine to me, so it feels great to get away for the weekend. But it feels even better if you get to do it without the kids.
For a romantic getaway, Guatemala City was the closest option, and also the best because of the hotels. I know what I want in a hotel, so I was able to narrow my search quickly.
What I Look For in a Hotel
1. Location – When my husband and I get to spend time alone we like to be in a place where we can walk around easily. It is much more enjoyable to do this without the kids. I’m sure any parent will be able to relate.
2. Boutique and luxury style hotels – Boutique hotels are the essence of what I look for in a hotel. I love the style, uniqueness and above all the personalized service.
3. Packages – The whole point of getting away without the kids is to have the romantic element. I know you can create it on your own but it’s easier and better when the hotel offers a package for couples. Plus, the packages tend to be cheaper than preplanning everything separately.
4. Restaurant – I know you might want to go out to a restaurant in the area but is it a great option to have one in your hotel as well. We decided to stay for dinner at the hotel. The convenience of it was too tempting.
Hotel of Choice – La Inmaculada Hotel
While looking for hotels, the area I focused on was zone 10, also known as “Zona Viva”. This is where you will find most of the best restaurants, shops and malls. Everything is within walking distance. This is where La Inmaculada Hotel is located. (Number one – location!)
It is the epitome of a boutique hotel: small, luxurious and stylish. Plus they have a romantic package. We even got a pleasant surprise! The package that I booked actually offers more than what is described on their website, for the same price.
What the Romantic Package Includes
When we arrived, the receptionist was already waiting for us. Here is where the surprises started. The hotel offers a ‘How Do You Like Your Coffee’ option. This is a service where they ask you to select between many coffee options, and then the next morning, they take it to your room at the hour you tell them to. But keep in mind that the service is very punctual so make sure you don’t ask for it too early. There are also options for tea lovers.
We also got a couples massage which was not on the website. For this service keep in mind that they need 1.5 hours to get it ready so you have to let them know in advance. You also get to choose from three options: the signature massage, the deep tissue massage or detoxifying massage.
Then there is the room decoration. There were roses everywhere and a beautiful bouquet waiting for us.
The package also includes a bottle of wine. You can have it in your room or in the garden. We decided to have it with dinner and it was a top quality Argentinean wine.
You also get a huge platter of chocolate covered fruit. If you plan on having it with your dinner you can forget about getting a dessert. You can also have it sent to your room.
More Fun Features of the Hotel
- A courtyard that you can work in peacefully
- Free wifi, by far the fasted of all I have found in Guatemala
- A karge, secure parking lot
- A prime location for all the hot spots
Fun Facts About La Inmaculada Hotel
- The hotel won two Traveler’s Choice Awards by TripAdvisor in 2013
- It is also one of the “Top 20 Small Hotels in Guatemala”, and one of Guatemala’s “Top 25 Hotels for Service”
Information for La Inmaculada Hotel
Address: 14 calle 7-88, Zona 10, Guatemala City, Guatemala.
Phone: (502) 2314 5100